Windows 10 updates take a while because Microsoft is constantly adding larger files and features to them. The most important updates released in the spring and fall of each year take just over four hours to install. If there are no problems too. The process takes even longer if you have a fragmented or nearly full hard drive. In this article, we are going to talk about Why Windows 10 Update Is Slow – What to Do. Let’s get started!
In addition to large files and the many features included in Windows 10 updates, internet speed can dramatically affect installation times as well. This is especially true if your office network is overloaded with multiple people downloading the update at the same time.
Windows operating system comes with many versions of Windows such as Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and many more. The latest version of Windows also available in the market is Windows 10. As we live in a world of technology, new daily updates are also coming to the market. Just like that, with Windows 10, new updates are coming daily. Windows 10 users may see a notification that a new update is also available for their system.
No matter how much you avoid updating your Windows, at some point it becomes important to update it. Because many problems may start to arise, like your PC may slow down or many applications may also stop supporting and working. Updating Windows may bring you new features like security fixes, enhancements, etc. And it is also not a very difficult task to keep your PC up to date.
Why Windows 10 Update Is Slow – What to do
Unfortunately, the Windows 10 update process is very slow and it takes a long time to update. There are a lot of reasons why Windows 10 updates are really slow. These are:
- Windows 10 is a really big and complicated operating system. Some updates are very small and are not even noticed when updated. At the same time, others are really big and massive and they also take a huge amount of time to update.
- If you are using a slow internet connection, downloading a single gigabyte can also take hours.
- If multiple people try to update the window simultaneously, it also affects the update speed.
- Windows can be really unoptimized. You may have been using it for a very long time, and there is just too much old app data.
- You may have changed the wrong settings. If this is really the case, even well-tuned updates can take forever.
- Some updates have to cover a lot of things, and a slow or old hard drive and a lot of junk files everywhere can create a lot of problems as well.
- Windows Update is itself a program, so maybe its component or part of the program can break and cancel the whole process.
- However, updating Windows, third-party applications, services and also drivers may cause software conflicts.
- One reason is that Windows has to rewrite its registry every time it installs an update.
- How fragmented your hard drive is, because if it is not properly fragmented, the hard drive needs to search for more free space that the computer can write updated files to, and it will also take a long time .
Windows updates scheduled using active hours
Active Hours lets you specify the hours you are most active on your device. In order to prevent Windows from automatically updating your PC within the specified period of time. No updates will be installed during these hours, however, you still cannot manually install these updates. Whenever a restart is required to complete installing an update, Windows will not automatically restart your PC during active hours.
Check your Internet connection | Windows 10 update is slow
There can be many causes for this error such as DNS issues, proxy issues. However, before that, make sure that your internet connection is working (use another device to check or use another browser). And you have also disabled the VPNs (Virtual Private Network) running on your system. Also make sure you have a very good broadband internet connection.
Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder
- You need to open the command prompt. The user can perform this step by searching ‘cmd’ then press Enter.
- You can now type the following commands to stop Windows Update Services, and then click Enter after each:
wuauserv net stop
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Then just type the following command to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder and hit Enter:
ren C: WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C: WindowsSystem32catroot2 catroot2.old
- Finally, type the following command to start Windows Update Services and click Enter after each:
wuauserv net start
net start cryptSvc
net boot bits
net start msiserver
- Restart your PC to save the changes and check if you can Troubleshoot extremely slow Windows 10 Updates issues.
If you are still unable to download the updates, you should wipe off the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Press Windows key + R, then type services.msc and press Enter.
- Right click on the Windows Update Service and choose Stop.
- Now open File Explorer and navigate to the following location:
- Delete everything the files then the folders under Software distribution.
- Right-click again Windows Update Service then choose Start.
- Now try to download the updates which were also blocked earlier.
Clean boot in Windows 10
- Press the Windows key + R button, then type msconfig and click OKAY.
- Now under the General tab just make sure Selective startup is verified.
- Just uncheck Loads the starter components also under selective start.
- Switch to the Services tab then tick Hide all Microsoft services.
- Now press Disable all to disable any unnecessary services that may cause conflicts.
- On the Startup tab, just tap Open the Task Manager.
- Now in the Startup tab (In the task manager) disable all startup items that are enabled.
- Tap on OK then Restart. Now try to update Windows again and this time you will also be able to update your Windows successfully.
- Press the Windows key + R button then type MSConfig and press Enter.
- In the General tab, just choose the Normal start option then click OK.
- When you are prompted to restart the computer, tap Restart. It would definitely help you Also fix extremely slow Windows 10 update issues.
When your PC or desktop or laptop restarts, try to update your window again. When Windows Updates start working, be sure to re-enable startup programs from the System Configuration window.
Windows Update troubleshooting
You can also solve the Extremely slow Windows 10 updates issue by running “Windows Update troubleshooter”. It will take a few minutes and will automatically detect and fix your problem.
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings, and then press Update and security.
- Now in the left menu make sure to choose Troubleshoot.
- Then under the Getup and running section, click Windows Update.
- When you click on it, press “Run the troubleshooter”Under Windows Update.
- Just follow the onscreen instructions to run the troubleshooter and see if you can fix Windows update stuck issue.
If none of the above steps was helpful in resolving the extremely slow Windows 10 update issue. Then as a last resort you can try running Microsoft Fixit which seems helpful in resolving the issue.
- Go here then scroll down when you find “Fix Windows update errors.“
- Tap on it to download the Microsoft Fixit.
- When you download, double-click the file to run the troubleshooter.
- Make sure to click on Advanced, then press the “Execute as administrator” option.
- When the troubleshooter has administrator privileges, it will reopen. Then press advanced and choose “Apply repairs automatically.“
- Now follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process, and it will automatically fix all issues with Windows Updates and fix them.
Optimize and defragment drives
Disk defragmentation basically rearranges all the data spread across your hard drive and stores it together again. When files are written to disk, they are split into multiple pieces because there is not enough contiguous space to store the entire file. Thus, the files become fragmented. Naturally, reading all this data from different places will take some time, in short, it will slow down your PC, have long boot times, random crashes and freezes.
Defragmentation decreases file fragmentation, thereby improving the speed at which data is read from and written to disk. This ultimately increases the performance of your PC. Disk defragmentation also cleans the disk, thus increasing the overall storage capacity.
Run the .BAT file to re-register the DLL files | Windows 10 update is slow
- Open the Notepad file, and then copy and paste the following code as is:
net stop cryptsvc net stop wuauserv ren %windir%system32catroot2 catroot2.old ren %windir%SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old regsvr32 comcat.dll /s Regsvr32 Msxml.dll /s Regsvr32 Msxml2.dll /s proxycfg -u Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll /s regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /s regsvr32 cdm.dll /s regsvr32 softpub.dll /s regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 initpki.dll /s regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s regsvr32 mssip32.dll /s regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /i /s regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s regsvr32 asctrls.ocx /s regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 initpki.dll /s regsvr32 softpub.dll /s regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /s regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /I /s regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s regsvr32 browseui.dll /s regsvr32 browseui.dll /I /s regsvr32 msrating.dll /s regsvr32 mlang.dll /s regsvr32 hlink.dll /s regsvr32 mshtmled.dll /s regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s regsvr32 plugin.ocx /s regsvr32 sendmail.dll /s regsvr32 scrobj.dll /s regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx /s regsvr32 corpol.dll /s regsvr32 jscript.dll /s regsvr32 msxml.dll /s regsvr32 imgutil.dll /s regsvr32 thumbvw.dll /s regsvr32 cryptext.dll /s regsvr32 rsabase.dll /s regsvr32 inseng.dll /s regsvr32 iesetup.dll /i /s regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s regsvr32 actxprxy.dll /s regsvr32 dispex.dll /s regsvr32 occache.dll /s regsvr32 occache.dll /i /s regsvr32 iepeers.dll /s regsvr32 urlmon.dll /i /s regsvr32 cdfview.dll /s regsvr32 webcheck.dll /s regsvr32 mobsync.dll /s regsvr32 pngfilt.dll /s regsvr32 licmgr10.dll /s regsvr32 icmfilter.dll /s regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx /s regsvr32 inetcfg.dll /s regsvr32 tdc.ocx /s regsvr32 MSR2C.DLL /s regsvr32 msident.dll /s regsvr32 msieftp.dll /s regsvr32 xmsconf.ocx /s regsvr32 ils.dll /s regsvr32 msoeacct.dll /s regsvr32 inetcomm.dll /s regsvr32 msdxm.ocx /s regsvr32 dxmasf.dll /s regsvr32 l3codecx.ax /s regsvr32 acelpdec.ax /s regsvr32 mpg4ds32.ax /s regsvr32 voxmsdec.ax /s regsvr32 danim.dll /s regsvr32 Daxctle.ocx /s regsvr32 lmrt.dll /s regsvr32 datime.dll /s regsvr32 dxtrans.dll /s regsvr32 dxtmsft.dll /s regsvr32 WEBPOST.DLL /s regsvr32 WPWIZDLL.DLL /s regsvr32 POSTWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 CRSWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 FTPWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 FPWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL /s regsvr32 wups2.dll /S regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL /s regsvr32 ATL.DLL /s regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL /s regsvr32 WUPS.DLL /s regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL /s regsvr32 wshom.ocx /s regsvr32 wshext.dll /s regsvr32 vbscript.dll /s regsvr32 scrrun.dll mstinit.exe /setup /s regsvr32 msnsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s regsvr32 msapsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s proxycfg –d sc sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;; ;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU) regsvr32 mshtml.dll /s net start cryptsvc net start wuauserv
- Now press To file then select Save as.
- From the Save as type drop-down list, just choose “All the files”And browse to where you want to save the file.
- Name the file as fix_update.bat (The .bat extension is very important), then tap Save.
- Right click on the fix_update.bat file, then choose Execute as administrator.
- This will basically restore and register your DLL files by fixing the Windows 10 updates very slow issue.
Okay, that was all folks! I hope you enjoy this article and that it is useful to you as well. Give us your opinion on it. Also, if you have other questions and issues related to this article. So let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a nice day!