Many children have a nasty habit of constantly biting their nails. It is a disorder called onychophagia and if not treated in time it can lead to health problems in the child.
It is the parents’ job to investigate the cause why the little one is biting his nails and resolve this issue as soon as possible.
Biting your nails in childhood
Biting your nails at an early age is an obsessive-compulsive disorder that usually begins after four or five years. The normal thing is that this is something temporary, although there are cases in which this disorder persists over time, seriously affecting the health of the child. If that happens, Such a habit leads to obsessive-compulsive disorder which needs to be treated as quickly as possible.
What are the causes of nail biting
The main causes that can cause a child to bite their nails are mental in nature, such as too much stress and anxiety. Other causes may be due to times of fatigue or boredom.
Consequences of biting your nails
There are several consequences for a child who compulsively and habitually bit his nails:
- The sores appear on the skin in the form of fingernails. These injuries are quite annoying and painful. In many cases, the wounds end up infecting and they need to be treated so that the thing does not go away.
- Biting your nails frequently makes it more likely warts appear on the fingers.
- Another consequence is the formation of ingrown toenails. If this happens, it is important to see a podiatrist to treat them.
- In the most extreme cases, the fingers can become deformed.
- Putting her fingers to her mouth so many times, there is an increased risk of stomach infections in children.
- The child should be aware at all times that biting their nails is not at all good and that it is a habit that should be stopped as soon as possible. Parents should sit down with the child and talk openly about the problem.
- You have to approach the subject calmly and without being nervous. If your child is constantly berated, the problem can become even more serious.
- It is good that the child has something in his hands and occupies them. That way you won’t be tempted to put your hands to your mouth.
- Another important aspect to improve is the appearance of the hands. It is good to improve its appearance and avoid comments from other children.
- If there are no results, parents can apply some kind of product to the child’s nails this causes the child to stop biting his nails.
- If despite everything, the child continues with this bad habit, It is advisable to contact a professional who can put an end to such a problem.