If you are having high CPU usage issue on your Windows PC / Laptop, read on for how to fix service host superfetch to resolve high CPU usage.
Do you have a computer at home? If yes, you might have come across the situation of running the PC in some problem which cannot be dealt with and the disk usage becomes almost 100% due to the Superfetch system of the service host. Whenever you run into this problem, this is a good solution to get out of it.
This article explains how to handle this critical situation. Before knowing how to fix the high CPU usage issue, you should know what Service Host Superfetch really is. If you learn more about Service Host Superfetch, you will have a clear idea of your problem.
What do you mean by Service Host Superfetch?
Superfetch is considered one of the parts of Windows Vista and beyond. This technology allows the Windows operating system to manage random memory so that your applications run efficiently. It helps critical Windows components and third-party applications to quickly accomplish normal tasks. To perform these tasks, Superfetch reads and stores data for applications that are regularly used directly from RAM instead of restoring it to the hard drive.
Superfetch is a bit similar to dry catch. It moves all your common files into RAM so programs start faster. But in case your system is not equipped with the latest software, high CPU usage can easily occur due to Superfetch service host. It is not always a problem to have high CPU usage due to this service. It all depends on the operation of the service to maximize the performance of your system.
So, whenever you find that your Windows 10 PC is using up a lot of your CPU usage, you can take into account our additional steps and tips to avoid such issue. There are many uses for windows that complain about this problem. However, there is nothing to worry about about it, as this problem can be fixed. Hence, you can try our real solutions to overcome the problem of high CPU usage due to Service Host Superfetch.
What are the benefits of Service Host Superfetch?
- It examines and considers the applications and programs that you use most often. Therefore, it can be discovered and opened much faster.
- RAM is the one that reads these applications but not the hard drive. Using Service Host Superfetch is much more efficient because the computer was brought to less work before opening an application, which saves you a lot of time.
How does high CPU usage relate to service host superfetch?
In order for the Superfetch service host to function properly, you need high CPU usage. Or, this service could fail by increasing confusion and messing up everything. Besides, it will hamper the normal work of the computer, mainly games and other huge applications. This is the reason why Service Host Superfetch uses a lot of the CPU. However, there are several ways to fix the service host superfetch to resolve the high CPU usage issue, which is as follows:
Even though Superfetch creates efficient force-load programs and reduces startup time, it has been found to be a cause of processor performance issues in Windows 8 and other versions of Windows, including Windows 10. However, you can deactivate this service.
Method 1: Disable Superfetch Service in Windows Versions
- Step 1: You have to alternately press Windows + R, then you have to type run in the search box of Windows 10. After that, you have to type services. msc in the box labeled “Open,” then select “OK.”
- Step 2: Next, how to find out the name “Superfetch”. Right click on it, choose “Properties,” select “Shutdown” from the pop-up windows, and then select “Disabled” from the drop-down menu of “Startup type”.
Method 2: disable Superfetch with the command line
- Step 1: You need to press start and search for command prompt, right click, then select “Run as administrator and press” Yes “to continue.
- Step 2: You have to try the command “net.exe stop sysmain” instead of the above mentioned command is not valid.
- Then you have to wait for some time to see if your computer started to perform better or not. You can even check your computer’s CPU usage in Task Manager. When you look at the% in the Processes tab and see that it is not at 100%, it means the problem is fixed.
Method 3: Disable Superfetch Using Windows Registry
You can even turn off Superfetch using the Windows registry. You just need to follow some steps to turn it off.
- Step 1: Alternately click Windows + R, then you need to type “Run” in the search box. After that, you need to type Regedit in the “Open” box and then hit Enter.
- Step 2: Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Session Manager / MemoryManagement / PrefetchParameters in the Registry Editor window.
- Step 3: Press the “Enabled Superfetch” command and set its value to 0 to disable it. Then press “OK”.
After this procedure, restart your PC to see if the problem is resolved.
2. Troubleshoot the service host superfetch to resolve the high CPU usage issue.
While updating Windows, it causes abnormal CPU usage. However, you can run the troubleshooter once to resolve the issue.
- Click the Windows key on the keyboard, then press “Control Panel.”
- Press “System and Security” by checking the category.
- Tap “Security and Maintenance” and then click “Troubleshoot”.
- Now tap on “Fix problems with Windows Update” and then on Next.
- Tap “Try troubleshooting as an administrator”.
This article discusses Service Host Superfetch and how to shut it down to resolve the high CPU usage issue. By doing this, you can optimize your computer’s performance and return your CPU usage to normal with the use of either registry.