The AirPlay feature offered by Apple is a great way to connect your iOS, iPad, or Mac to your TV. However, for this, you must have Apple TV or an AirPlay 2 compatible device, which is not the case for all.
Fortunately, there are other solutions for watching videos on the big screen. Indeed, Google offers Chromecast, an economical alternative, allowing the distribution of content on TV via iOS and macOS.
In this tutorial, we show you how to cast your Apple content on your TV.
What is a Chromecast?
The first Chromecast was launched in 2013 and allowed its users to stream videos wirelessly to their TVs, so that they could be enjoyed on the big screen.
Apple-branded operating systems limit access to the Chromecast.
Apple enforces its App Store regulations and prefers its users to use its own built-in option.
Which Chromecast to choose?
Note that many connected televisions integrate Chromecast. So before you run out and buy a Chromecast stick, make sure you really need it.
If you are looking for a model with more advanced technical characteristics, such as compatibility with 4K then Google offers the Chromecast Ultra 4K.
Before you can stream your favorite content on the big screen, there are 7 steps to follow:
- Connect the Chromecast to the HDMI port of your TV.
- On your iPhone, go to the App Store then download the application Google home.
- Once opened, on the home page Create a house, Press on To start.
- Go to Configure new devices then on Create another house.
- Enter your information.
- Tap on To continue.
- Your profile page appears, press Add then on Configure a device.
- Turn on Wi-Fi, follow the instructions and confirm your new device.
Chromecast on an iPhone
For this tutorial, we used the Netflix app. However, the steps are identical for other apps (Spotify, YouTube…).
- Open Netflix on your iPhone and sign in to your account.
- On the home page, click theCast icon (a square with three lines) in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Select your Chromecast from the list of devices. Once the connection is established, the icon turns blue.
- Finally, in the Netflix library, simply choose your content to stream.
Chromecast on a Mac
To connect Chromecast on your Mac, you must go through the browser Google chrome. Then follow these 5 steps:
- Make sure your Mac is connected to the same WiFi network as your Chromecast.
- Open Google chrome and the website you want to cast on.
- Launch your video or audio file
- Go to the three little dots next to your Google avatar and the search bar.
- Click on Caster then select your Chromecast.
Some sites are natively Chromecast compatible, as is the case for Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Movies or even Google Play Music. The procedure is therefore different but remains simple:
- Meeting on Netflix for example
- Click on theCast icon at the bottom right of the video player. It may be in a different location depending on the site.
- Choose the device to stream your content to.