Microsoft Word tools and their functions
The text editor Microsoft Word It is one of the most popular tools of the following of Microsoft Office, and although it is used daily by millions of users, not everyone is familiar with the vast majority of its features. Each tab of the Microsoft Word the tool offerings are organized into groups, characterized by their functions.
This article will give a guided tour of each tool tab of Word, accompanied by brief and concise explanations of the function of each of them. So, by the end of this reading, you will have the necessary knowledge to be able to make the most of it of this text editor, and to be able to present documents with a more professional finish.
In the home tab are all those tools that directly affect the style of the text such as font type and size, paragraph alignment, or space between words. These tools are divided into the following groups:
- Clipboard: In this section there is a record of items related to copy, cut and paste actions. Although these functions can be performed simply with the mouse or a combination of keys, by clicking on the extension icon we will have access to everything that has been copied or cut in the document. Thus, it is possible to copy and / or cut several elements at the same time and to have them all, which represents an advantage compared to the functionalities of using the mouse or the keyboard.
- Source: Here you have the possibility to choose the aesthetic of the text which are entered in the editor. It is possible to change the font (font), its size, the style (bold or italic), or the color.
- Paragraph: This group of tools allows create lists both listed and unlisted, align text or set spacing between words.
- Style: This section is used for give a specific aesthetic to a particular part of the text. This refers to writing styles, where the aesthetics of a word or paragraph give contextual meaning. It is also possible establish hierarchies between titles and subtitles of the document with this option.
- Editing: The edit tab has tools that allow us to edit the document more efficiently. For example: if you wanted to change a word that is found several times in the document by another, with the “Rto replace“, the text editor helps us find this word and replace it automatically.
The tools on this tab allow you to add a new page, multimedia content, or links to websites to the document.
- pages: It offers us the possibility of adding a blank page, go directly to another page using the “Page break” or insert a cover template of the document or sections thereof.
- Boards: This group of tools Word they will allow you insert tables to organize data (text and numeric), as well as an Excel spreadsheet.
- Vector Illustrations: This is the section you should turn to insert images into your document, both the ones you have on your computer and the ones you find on the Internet. In addition, you can also enter geometric figures and graphics to represent a group of data.
- Multimedia: Have a link to a video, with this function you can access it in the document.
- Links: The tools in this section allow you to create links to different parts of the document, or to an external document found on the Internet.
- Header and footer: Intuitively, using these tools, it is possible to edit titles and the footer, as well as the addition page numbering to the document.
- Text: The tools grouped in this section allow you to insert text boxes (illustrative image). These texts are independent of the text of the document, so they can move freely through it. There are also tools to introduce The art of words, which are indicative letters.
- Symbols: Its purpose is to insert equations to the document and / or special characters, like the Greek letters.
Here tools are available to adjust the aesthetics of the document.
- Document formato: It is an accessibility to establish a document format already structured which defines the font, size and color of the letters, as well as the manipulation of the spacing between paragraphs.
- context: This tool allows you to define a Background color for document pages, or also a photo. Another option in this section is to add borders to each page.
The tools in this group allow you to customize the format of the document.
- Layout: These tools are used to adjust the margins, orientation and size pages of the document. The other format options within this group are those that allow distribute the text in columns, display line numbering, or define page breaks.
- Paragraph: In this section you can define the dimension of the withdrawals text and spaces between paragraphs.
- To organise: Here you will find features that determine how the interaction between a certain part of the text and an image inserted in the document, as well as the how some images interact which are added.
This tab contains features that allow you to assign references in the document. In general, these tools Word They are used in academic articles.
- Contents: This set of tools will facilitate the development of a table of contents, commonly called index. It also offers the possibility of establishing hierarchies between titles and subtitles.
- Footnotes: Add footnotes to the page to leave feedback readers on part of the text, or definitions technical words that have not yet been mentioned in the document.
- Citations and bibliography: In this section you have the tools to attribute sources corresponding to the information contained in the text.
- Securities: These are tools used to assign titles to images inserted into the document. It also allows you to create a image index that appear in the text.
- Index: Using these tools you can take words that you think are important to later create an index of these, commonly called “analytical index”.
This section allows you to streamline the creation and management of documents for shipments.
- To create: It allows design envelopes, where the recipients and the respective address where the mail should be sent are added. With the “Label” tool, it is possible create labels both generic and personalized.
- Start direct mail: With this tool, you can assign a generic document, such as letters, envelopes or labels to a database with information about who to add to the letter. In this way a file is created for each person within the database.
- Write and insert fields: Right here you choose the information that will go into the file which is being prepared, in order to take only the necessary information from the database.
- Overview of results: Using this tool will allow you visualize how the document was, as also check for errors, or search for a specific recipient to make a specific change to this file.
- Finish and combine: To complete the process, you must click on this tool, with it a new document is created Word with the files generated by the database.
In this tab there are items that will help us to spell check and track changes to the document if it is a shared file.
- Revision: With these tools you can check spelling document, replace a word with one of its synonyms, or count the number of words that contains the file.
- speech: allows you to translations and establish the correction of words in a language other than the established one for the drafting of the document.
- comments: This function of the Microsoft Word is widely used and allows leave little notes in the document in the form of comments or observations. Very useful if the document is prepared by several people.
- Follow-up: When you activate change control, activates a log of all modifications through which the document passes. This recording becomes visible activate review panel.
- Changes: Here the document editor is authorized reject or incorporate changes produced by another publisher.
- Compare: Having an old version of the document, we can make a before and after comparison of your edition.
- Protect: offers the possibility of do not allow modification of the document, or prevent a user in particular, you can edit the document.
Here you can configure the appearance of the document while it is being edited.
- Views: They present themselves text display options during its preparation in the text editor.
- Show: Activating any of the group options will display some tools such as Rules, grids or the navigation panel, which is a panel that allows us allows you to view the structure of the document.
- Zoom: As you can guess, this tool offers the possibility of adjust the scale in which we visualize the document, as well as visualize the document in a single or double page.
- The window: Displays the same document in a different window. This greatly facilitates the editing of the document when part of the text depends on another that is in a different section.
- Macro: It is a tool that allows you to establish key combinations to automate a process within the document, for example; tables which must appear more than once in the text.