Android has also always blocked the installation of APKs from unknown sources for better security. We first had to activate the installation of APK files under Settings ” Security ” Unknown sources. When enabled, you can then install apps through APK files from any app on your phone. Such as file manager, browser etc. However, it’s not that easy with Android Oreo. In this article, we are going to talk about installing from unknown sources on Android Oreo. Let’s get started!
With Android Oreo, installing apps from Unknown sources has now been replaced with a completely different option. Anytime you try to install an APK from anywhere other than the Play Store. Then you will greet with a pop-up window leading you to “External Sources”.
From there, you can enable this app to allow future installations without even being blocked. This new feature allows us to have more flexibility on which applications need authorization and which do not. This is especially useful for people who don’t really have access to the Play Store. You can also install some apps from third party stores and then turn off this permission after doing it only for that store app.
You can also do this from settings.
How to activate installation from unknown sources on Android Oreo
Well, it’s not called that anymore, instead it’s called ‘Install other apps‘now actually. And here is how to find this option and activate the installation of APK files. Note that you need to do this for each app you want to install APK files from.
- First of all, head to Settings.
- Tap the new Apps and notifications menu.
- Head toward Special access basically.
- Then proceed to install other applications which are also down.
- Tap the app you want to allow or block.
- Then click on the switch next to the Trusted app from this source also.
- Now go back to your app and click on the APK file to to install this. On the File Manager app, it’s pretty darn easy, however, in browsers, go to the downloads section and click on the APK file, in order to start its installation.
Install apps from unknown sources on other versions of Android
On older Android phones and devices with a specific user interface, the method for installing apps from unknown sources may be different.
- Open Settings, then click Security (may appear under Security & Privacy).
- On the next screen, enable the installation of apps from unknown sources by moving the toggle to the ON position.
- Now in the warning pop-up window, tap OK to confirm.
Well, that’s all on my end. If you want to know more about this article or if you have any questions. So feel free to ask me anything in the comments section below.
Have a nice day!