Xbox and chill with DVDs, blu-rays, and a bunch of streaming options
What there is to know
- Xbox Series X can play Blu-rays and DVDs with its 4K UHD Blu-ray player and the free Blu-ray Player app.
- Xbox Series X and S can stream movies with a variety of apps.
- You can also buy and rent movies from the Xbox store on your console.
This article includes instructions on how to watch Blu-ray and DVD movies on the Xbox x series or S as well as instructions for streaming movies.
Although the primary purpose of a game console is still games, you can watch movies on an Xbox X or S Series through a number of different methods. If you download an optional Blu-ray player app, you can use your Xbox Series X to watch DVD and Blu-ray movies on its 4K UHD Blu-ray player.
Since the Xbox Series S is a digital console only, this option is not available for it.
Here’s how to watch Blu-rays and DVDs on your Xbox Series X:
- Push the button Guide and select Store.
- Select function Research.
- Type Blu-ray player.
- Select Blu-ray player in search results.
- Select Get or install.
- Insert a disc into your Xbox Series X.
- Launch the Blu-Ray Player application.
- Your disc will start playing as if you were using a standalone Blu-ray or DVD player.
You probably don’t have a remote for your Xbox Series X, but your Xbox Controller can serve the same purpose quite easily. Functions like fast forward, rewind, and pause are all mapped to buttons on the controller, making it easy to jump over parts you don’t want to see or go back to something you missed.
Here’s how to control the Blu-Ray Player app on your Xbox Series X console:
- Play / Pause button: X
- Back to a chapter: Left bumper
- Before a chapter: Right bumper
- Fast forward: right trigger
- Rewinding: Left trigger
- Access onscreen controls: button B
In addition to physical Blu-ray and DVD discs, the Xbox X Series also lets you stream movies and TV shows through a variety of different movie streaming services. The Xbox Series S, which cannot play Blu-rays and DVDs due to the lack of a disc drive, can stream using all of the same apps and services as the Xbox X Series.
Streaming apps are free to download on the Xbox X and S Series, but some require a paid subscription to watch.
Here’s how to stream movies using your Xbox X or S Series:
- Open the Windows Store on your Xbox X or S Series and select the function Research.
- Type in the name of the streaming service you want.
- Select the streaming app from the search results.
- Select Get or install.
- Launch the app, select the movie to stream and start watching.
In addition to streaming services, you can also buy and rent movies directly from Microsoft through your Xbox.
Here’s how to rent or buy movies on your Xbox X or S Series:
- Open the Xbox Store.
- Scroll down to the Movies section, then press X on the controller to display all available movies if you don’t see anything of interest. You can also use the search function if you are looking for a specific movie.
- Select the movie you are interested in from the list.
- Select BUY IN UHD or RENT IN UHD, or select CHOOSE FORMAT to select a different format.
- Complete the purchase by entering your billing details if necessary.
- Watch your movie.