Google Messages is Google’s all-in-one messaging app designed to help people communicate more effectively. Before Google Messages, there was no all-in-one messaging app and users had to rely on third-party apps for communication, but now that the Google Messages app is here, things are changing. With Google Messages, you can easily send messages, photos, videos, audio messages, and more using just one app. In this guide, you will learn how to use the Google Messages app. Let’s get started.
How do Google messages work?
Before you start working on Google Messages, it is important that you know why Google developed Google Messages. IPhone users have iMessage, but Android didn’t have a similar service, and there was a need for an instant messaging service that would compete with iMessage and provide similar functionality to Android users.
Now let’s move on to how Google Messages works. Google Messages works very similar to iMessage and allows users to send text messages, videos, GIFs, stickers, emojis, and other items to other Google Messages users. It also allows users to accept payments through Google Pay.
How to use the Google Messages app
Now that you know how Google Messages works, let’s take a look at how to use the Google Messages app. Google Messages is Google’s default messaging app, and it comes preinstalled on Android smartphones. However, if you don’t have one on your smartphone, you can install it from the Google Play Store. Once you have it on your phone, here is how you can use it to send messages.
- Open the app Google Messages on your smartphone.
- When you want to send a message, press the option Start a discussion.
- Now select who you want to send the message to. You can send it to an individual or a group of people. You can select the individual from the list or search for the name using the search bar at the top.
- Once you have selected the individual, the text space will open. Here you can just type text, add emoticons, record voicemail, send photos, send files, send locations, etc.
- Now tap on the arrow icon next to the emoji icon to send your message.
How to add contacts in Google Messages
If you’ve received contact information in Google Messages or just want to add a number from Google Messages, here’s how.
- Open your Google Messages app.
- Now open the conversation.
- Press the option three points in the upper right corner.
- Here you will see many options, press Add a contact.
- Now fill in all the information and then press Record.
- That’s it.
How to add contacts from a group message
If you want to add contacts from a group message, the process is very simple. Here is how you can do it.
- Open the Google Messages app on your smartphone.
- Now go to a group conversation and press three dots icon in the upper right corner.
- Here you will see different options. To push on More, then on Group information.
- Now tap on the number you want to add and then tap on Add people.
- Fill in all the details and press Record to save the contact.
How to block numbers on Google Messages
Google Messages also allows you to block numbers, and once it is deleted, you will no longer be disturbed by messages from that number. While blocking the number, you can also add this number to the spam database maintained by Google. Here’s how you can block numbers in Google Messages.
- Open Google Messages on your smartphone.
- Now open the conversation and tap more icons in the top right corner.
- To push on Information, then on Block and report as spam.
- The system will ask you for confirmation. To push on okay to confirm.
How to turn on dark mode on Google Messages
Google Messages includes tons of promising features, and Dark Mode is one of them. Dark mode is quite popular these days, and it basically comes with dark colors, which are easy on the eyes. If you want to enable dark mode on Google Messages, the process is pretty straightforward. Here is how you can do it.
- Open the Google Messages app on your smartphone.
- To push on icon at three points in the upper right corner to access options.
- Now press Select a theme.
- A prompt will appear on the screen with three options
- Clear : this is the Clear and default theme of Google Messages.
- Dark : this is the dark mode of Google Messages.
- Default setting : If you enable this feature, Google Messages will set the theme according to the system default theme.
How to use Google Messages on your computer?
Google Messages also works quite well on a computer and you can easily connect it to your computer by scanning the QR code. Here’s how to use Google Messages on your computer.
- Now open the Google Messages app on your smartphone
- Press theicon at three points in the upper right corner and press Device pairing> QR code reader.
- Now scan the QR code with the scanner of your smartphone.
- That’s it. Your computer will be connected to Google Messages and you will be able to send messages directly from your web browser to your friends.
How secure is the Google Messages app?
Like other Google apps, the Google Messages app is also quite secure. The app uses Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption to protect your messages. This means that all communication between the app and the server is protected by an encrypted channel, preventing anyone from knowing what you are sending.
That’s it, guys. Now you know how to use the Google Messages app. Google Messages is still a relatively new app, but it has improved a lot over the past few months, and we can expect more improvements in the days and months to come. Give us your feedback on Google Messages in the comments. Do not forget to consult our best text messaging apps for Android.