You don’t need a wallet, your phone lets you pay on the go
What there is to know
- Apple Pay is part of the Apple Wallet application which can be found in the section Utilities.
- In Apple Wallet, tap + to add a new payment card; the cards linked to your Apple account may already be listed.
- To use Apple Pay, double-tap the button on the right side of the phone, authorize with your Face ID, then hold your phone near the payment terminal.
The article includes instructions on how to set up Apple Pay and use it to make payments at NFC terminals.
Apple Pay is a handy feature of recent iPhones, and of course it’s available on the iPhone 12. If you’ve never used it before, here’s a quick guide to setting it up.
- To find Apple Pay, tap Utilities > Portfolio.
- An explanation of how Apple Pay works appears on the screen. Read it and then press Continue.
- Press on Credit or debit card to select an existing card or add a new one.
- If any cards are linked to your Apple account, they will appear on the next screen. If one of these is the card you want to use, select it.
- To add a new card, tap Add a different card.
If you don’t have a card attached to your account, you may only have the option to add a new card.
- You will be prompted to scan a card. Do it, then press Continue. If the card cannot be scanned, you can also enter the card information manually.
- You will be promoted to add the card security code. Do it and press Continue.
- Once the card has been added, you will receive a confirmation screen. Press on Continue. You may be asked to read and agree to the terms and conditions. If so, read the information provided and press Accept. If you press Disagreement, you will not be able to add your payment card.
- Another explanatory screen appears, which explains how to use Apple Pay. Read it and press Continue to return to your portfolio.
Once you’ve added at least one card to your Apple Wallet, you can then use Apple Pay at participating stores to make contactless payments. It only works in stores that accept Apple Pay. You’ll know they do when you see one of the Apple Pay symbols.
When you see one of these symbols, follow these instructions:
- Double-tap the side button on the right side of iPhone 12.
- Apple pay opens to your card by default. Hold your phone on and authenticate the transaction using Face ID. You can also use another card if you have more than one in your wallet. Once your default card appears, tap it and choose the card you want to use.
- Then hold the phone near the payment terminal until you see ” Done ‘ and a blue check mark will appear on your screen.
If you only have one card in Apple Pay, it becomes your default payment card. When you add more cards or change cards, you can choose another card as the default card.
The easiest way is to open the wallet, then tap and hold the card you want to use by default. Then drag that card to the start of all the cards you listed. It will then become the default card.
If you’re having trouble with this method, here’s another way to make another card the default:
- Open the app Settings.
- Make scroll down and press Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Press on Default card.
- Select the new card you want to use as the default.
The next time you double-tap the side button to launch Apple Pay, the card you selected as the new default will be the one that appears.