What there is to know
- Plug your controller into your PC or Mac to use it.
- You can pair via bluetooth too.
- There are some limitations when using a controller PS5 on PC or Mac.
This article teaches you how to connect a PlayStation 5 controller to your PC or Mac.
Setting up a PS5 controller on Windows 10 is super easy provided you know how. Here’s what to do.
You can also connect the PS5 controller to PC via Bluetooth, but you must have a built-in Bluetooth receiver or purchase a Bluetooth dongle to do so.
- Get your PS5 DualSense controller and the USB-C to USB-A cable that came with it. If you purchased a controller separately, it does not come with the cable and you will need to purchase one. The controller bundled with the PlayStation 5 includes the charging cable.
- Plug it into a spare USB port on your PC.
- Windows 10 should now detect the controller and you are ready to use it.
Using a PS5 controller on your Mac is as easy as it is on a PC. Here’s what to do.
It is also possible to connect a PS5 controller to Mac via Bluetooth. Again, you need a built-in Bluetooth receiver on your Mac or purchase a dongle to do this.
- Take your PS5 DualSense controller and the charging cable that came with it.
- Plug the controller into a spare USB port on your Mac. If you have a newer MacBook Pro, you will need to purchase a USB-C adapter to do so.
- The controller is now detected by the Mac and ready to use.
When you connect your PC or Mac to a Playstation 5 controller via Bluetooth, you need to put the PS5 controller in pairing mode for your device to detect it under Bluetooth devices. It’s not as obvious as it looks, so here’s what to do.
- On your PlayStation 5 controller, hold the PS button (the power button) and the Share button (the button between the d-pad and the touch bar) until the lights start flashing on your controller.
- The controller should now be an option in your Bluetooth devices menu on your PC or Mac.
One of the main reasons that many users want to have a PS5 controller connected to your PC or Mac is to be able to play games based on Steam. Here’s how to configure your controller within Steam once it’s logged in.
- Open steam.
- Click on Steam> Settings / Preferences.
- Click on Controller.
- Click on Controller General settings.
- Click on the PS5 controller. It is generally referred to as Sony Interactive Entertainment Wireless Controller.
- Enter the button configuration you want for each button you press.
- Click on Save and Exit.
Limitations when using the PS5 controller on PC or Mac
There are a few things that the PlayStation 5 controller cannot do on a PC or Mac. Here is a brief overview of its limitations.
- There is no haptic feedback. While you can feel each explosion or jump on your PlayStation 5, there is no haptic feedback when using the controller on your PC or Mac, limiting how your senses feel in the game.
- Adaptive triggers are not active. One of the best PS5 features is how you can gently squeeze the triggers and see how they affect what you do. This is not possible on PC or Mac.
- You may need to configure the button configuration. Some games will show the correct PlayStation button prompts, but not all, so expect to need to configure things for each individual game.