Connecting your Dualsense is just as easy as connecting other controllers
What there is to know
- Connect your controller to your PC. A cable is not included with PS5, and you will need Bluetooth on your PC to connect wirelessly.
- Open mode Big Picture of Steam at the top right of the Steam client. Click on the cog settings; then click on Settings for controller.
- What your controller appears to be is not important. Click on your controller, then set the setting page to verify and configure the controls.
The good news for PC gamers is that sony new Dualsense controller for PS5 works out of the box with Steam. The bad news is that currently no advanced features are supported, so the controller will only function as a generic gamepad without haptics, adaptive triggers, or even rumble, just yet.
If you have a USB-A to USB-C cable lying around, or if your computer supports USB-C directly, you can just plug in your PS5 controller and be ready to use it on Steam. If you don’t want to use a cable or if you don’t have one, you can connect your controller to your PC via bluetooth.
On a Bluetooth-enabled Windows 10 PC, this process is easy.
- Turn off your PS5 and disconnect your controller.
- On your PC, open start menu> Settings> Devices> Add Bluetooth or any other device.
- On your PS5 controller, hold the PlayStation and create buttons to enter pairing mode.
- In the Add window device on your PC, select Bluetooth,then select the controller that appears. Windows will likely recognize your controller as some kind of generic gamepad, which is okay.
Not all computers are packed with Bluetooth. If you want to use your controller wirelessly but don’t have bluetooth, it’s surprisingly easy to add bluetooth to your computer.
Once connected, your controller is ready for Steam.
- Open mode Big Picture from Steam, located at the top right of the Steam client.
- Select the cog Settings; then select Settings controller.
- Your controller will appear under controllers detected; however, it can be recognized as an Xbox controller, generic gamepad, or DualShock controller.
- Select your controller and click Set Layout page to make sure all of your button bindings are correct.
- If you are having trouble getting steam to detect your PS5 controller, try signing up for the latest Steam beta, which adds the initial PS5 controller support. From your Steam client, open Steam> Settings> Account and sign up for the latest beta. Then go back to settings of the controller.
It’s likely that more features will come to the PS5 controller when Steam’s latest update rolls out of beta, but Steam itself cannot support all of the controller features. Advanced haptic feedback and adaptive triggers require individualized support as they are implemented per game.