What there is to know
- Press the ps4 power button and hold for about 7 seconds until you hear two beeps. The console will turn off completely.
- To put the PS4 into rest mode, press and hold the power button, and release it after hearing a beep.
- When the PS4 is completely powered off, it cannot receive updates, and all your current gaming sessions end.
This article explains how to completely shut down all versions of the PS4 console, and how to put it into rest mode.
It is recommended that you turn off your PS4 completely if you need to unplug it and move it elsewhere. In this case, the console will not be able to download updates and all current game sessions will end.
- Press and hold the same PS4 power button, for about seven seconds until you hear two second beeps. If you release the button after the first beep, you put it in idle mode.
- The TV screen will display the message: “Preparing to turn off the PS4…” and warn you not to unplug the AC power cord during this process.
- The power light on your PS4 will pulse in a white color until it turns off completely; Once the indicator light goes out, it is safe to unplug your power cord.
Unplugging the AC power cord while the light is on or there is a heartbeat could result in accidental data corruption.
PS4 owners can put their console into “Rest” mode, which means the console can still receive and download updates even if it isn’t sending a signal to your TV screen. Plus, you can resume the progress of your gaming sessions where you left off after turning on your console from standby mode.
If your home loses power while your PS4 is in rest mode, you will receive a warning when you turn on your PS4 that data may have been corrupted; Be sure to turn off your PS4 completely during lightning storms.
- Locate the power button on your PlayStation 4. On a standard PS4 model, this button is located at the top, center left of your console, above the eject button.
- Press and hold this button for only one or two seconds; the PS4 will emit a single beep and the television screen will broadcast the message: “Putting the PS4 in rest mode …”
- Observe the indicator light, which is the thin vertical light on the top of the PS4; when the PS4 goes into idle mode, it pulsates from white to orange.
To put your PS4 Slim or Pro into rest mode, or to turn it off completely, follow the instructions above for the standard PS4. However, the power buttons are a little different on each console.
Find the power button of the PS4 Slim
The PS4 Slim is noticeably smaller than its big brother. Thus, the buttons of the Slim model are also smaller, and therefore a little more difficult to find. On your PS4 Slim, look to the left of the device’s disc slot. You’ll see an oblong-shaped power button, and to its right, tiny lights that act as a power indicator.
Find the PS4 Pro power button
The PS4 Pro is a behemoth of a console, and its power and eject buttons are quite unconventional. The Pro has three “layers” in its design, unlike the two layers of the standard PS4 and the Slim. At the bottom of the middle layer is a long power button; notice that it is horizontal and not vertical, like that of the standard PS4. Below this button is a thin strip of light that serves as a power indicator.