However, it is not possible to connect and directly transfer encrypted backups between Drive and iCloud. In addition, neither of the two platforms integrates deeply with the smartphones of the competing platform. Apple doesn’t even offer an iCloud app for Android devices. This essentially leaves local transfers as the only real option for moving data from one platform to another.
For now, WhatsApp has worked with Google and Samsung to enable local transfers of WhatsApp backups. from iPhone to Android device. However, you will have to wait a little longer if you want to transfer the WhatsApp conversations. from Android device to iPhone. WhatsApp says the feature is expected to be available later in 2021.
Read also : How to recover your forgotten WhatsApp PIN code
Read below to know how to transfer your WhatsApp data from iOS to Android.
How to transfer WhatsApp conversations from iPhone to Android 12 smartphone
Starting with Android 12, Google added changes at the operating system level to allow users to transfer their WhatsApp chat histories from iPhones to Android devices. For now, the functionality is limited to Pixels smartphones, but is expected to be rolled out to all new smartphones launched with Android 12.
Here is a step by step guide:
1. You will need a freshly reset phone with Android 12 built in.
2. Connect iPhone to your Android 12 device using a USB-C to Lightning cable.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions to import all or some data from iPhone to your Android phone 12.
4. Press the Continue button to complete the data transfer.
5. When prompted during the transfer process, scan the QR code displayed on the Android device using your iPhone.
6. Scanning the QR code will open WhatsApp on the iPhone. Press the start button and you are good to go.
How to transfer WhatsApp conversations from iPhone to Samsung smartphone
WhatsApp announced the possibility of moving discussions between platforms earlier this year alongside a partnership with Samsung. This negates the Android 12 requirement on Samsung devices, but makes the process more complex.
1. Reset your Samsung device.
2. When prompted by the built-in smart-switch app, connect your iPhone to your Samsung device using a USB-C to Lightning cable.
3. Select all the apps and data you want to transfer including WhatsApp.
4. When prompted, scan the QR code displayed on the phone screen.
5. The QR code should open WhatsApp on your iPhone. Press the Start button to continue data transfer.
6. You can now complete the setup of your Samsung device.
7. Once done, open WhatsApp and sign in using the same number as on the iPhone.
8. Press the import button when prompted to complete the process.
Transferring WhatsApp chats from iPhone to Android is a fairly straightforward process that shouldn’t take more than a few minutes depending on the size of the WhatsApp backup. The entire transfer is carried out locally and remains encrypted. All media including chat history, photos and videos should be carried over, but eventually you will lose your WhatsApp call history.