For many people, their iPhone’s greatest asset is their camera roll. Hundreds if not thousands of memorabilia exist in the galleries. It makes sense that we want to keep these photos as long as we can. When it comes time for you to get a new iPhone, the last thing you want to do is lose all the photos on your old phone. Here we show you how to transfer your photos from iPhone to iPhone.
The best method: iCloud
The fastest and easiest way to transfer your photos from iPhone to iPhone is through iCloud. It is also the best way to ensure that your photos are backed up securely. There is a caveat – it only comes with 5 GB of storage, which can be easily replenished. This warning aside, to get started with iCloud Photo Backup:
- Launch the Settings app and tap your name at the top.
- Open “iCloud -> Photos” and make sure iCloud Photos is turned on at the top.
- Sign in to the new iPhone with your existing Apple ID and repeat the same process. You have two options with this. The first is to save storage space by enabling “Optimize iPhone storage” or “Download and keep originals”. The second is, if you don’t have enough iCloud storage available, Apple will prompt you to upgrade. Assuming you have enough storage available, photos will begin to appear wirelessly. Depending on how many photos you have, it can take up to a few hours to populate everything.
Alternatively, you can also do iCloud backup on old iPhone and then choose to “Restore from iCloud Backup” on new iPhone. This method will ensure that all the photos stored on the other phone will automatically carry over to a new iPhone.
AirDrop allows you to easily share files between your Apple devices. The first step is to make sure AirDrop is enabled on both iPhones. To do this, go to “Settings -> General -> AirDrop” and activate for “Everyone” or “Contacts only”. After activating AirDrop, go to the Photos app and go to a gallery or photo album.
- Start choosing the photos you want to transfer to a new device. You can do this by tapping “Select” at the top of the album or gallery and then selecting the photos you want to upload. Each selected photo will have a blue check mark.
- When you have checked all the photos you want to transfer, click on the “share sheet” at the bottom left of the screen. It looks like a square with an arrow pointing up out of it.
- The AirDrop button should appear in the share sheet under your favorite contacts. The icon looks like concentric blue circles with a white icon at the bottom. Tap on it after locating it.
Find the name of the iPhone you want to share with. Tap it and tap “Accept” on the new iPhone to start the transfer. Transfer time varies and depends on the number of photos or videos you transfer at a time. The more you share, the longer it will take to download. Each photo will automatically be included in your general photo album.
Using cloud storage
If you find the iCloud storage space too limited, you can use another cloud service. All popular cloud services like Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive will work. All you have to do is download the app of your choice and save all your photos to the app. Almost all cloud storage applications will have the ability to upload your photo album to its servers for “cloud” storage backup.
Dropbox in particular is very popular and does a great job of backing up photos. To enable camera downloads, download the Dropbox app and tap the account icon at the bottom right. Search for “Camera Uploads” and toggle “On”. Finally, tap on download and wait for the download to finish. Once the download is complete, download Dropbox to the new iPhone and upload any of the photos you want to save to your iPhone.
Create a shared album
Another iCloud method is to create a shared album. This is a popular method for sharing photos with a group of people, but can also be used to share with another iPhone.
To begin :
- Open the Photos app and select all the photos you want to share with a new iPhone. Once you have selected the photos, hit the “Share sheet” button and scroll down a bit until you see “Add to shared album”.
- The Photos application then “uploads” each photo to an album. It may take a minute or two depending on how many photos you are trying to share. Once it has finished downloading, it will ask you to enter a comment if you want.
- Then you can choose who you want to share the album with. Enter your details or any contact information available on the new device. (Email would be best.) A link from the iCloud album will be sent to the email address.
- Open the link and download the photos. They will automatically save directly to your Photos app.
With the above methods, transferring your photos from iPhone to iPhone shouldn’t be a scary prospect anymore. The next thing you might want to do is edit your photos on your iPhone so that they look great when shared with others.