AirPods have many advantages over regular headphones.
However, there is one thing to watch out for if you are about to leave the house: the condition of their battery. You wouldn’t want to hear that “beep” in the middle of your run or on the way to work, would you?
If you tend to leave them in the case overnight, this is unlikely to happen. But how can you be sure your AirPods are even charging? When should you charge the case?
Checking the indicator light
The first sign of charging you’ll look for is the AirPods and case status light.
There is a light on the front of the case and another when you open the cover. The light inside has two roles: when the pods are inside the box, it indicates the level of their battery. When you take them out, it informs you of the battery level of the case.
As for the colors, if the light is green, the case is fully charged. If it is orange, the battery level has started to drop.
Amber light is also a charge indicator. If you plug the case into a power outlet or your Mac, for example, that’s this light you’ll want to see to make sure the AirPods are charging.
If there is no light at all, it means your case needs to be charged.
AirPods will alert you with a sound signal if the battery is low. You will hear two beeps: one at 10% and another just before the pods turn off.
Using your iPhone for surveillance
Checking the battery status of your AirPods 2 through your phone is pretty straightforward.
Have you ever paired them with your iPhone? Then you can use it to check pods. Remember, you need to be on hand to do this.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the AirPods case without taking them out.
- Move your iPhone closer to the case.
- Check your phone screen for a new notification – you’ll see pictures of the AirPods and the case.
- Below these images you can see the current battery levels. If either of these two batteries is charging, you will see a small lightning bolt icon next to the battery.
In some cases, only one of these cases will be chargeable. For example, the suitcase may already be full, while the AirPods still need to reach 100% of the battery level.
When your AirPods’ battery level gets too low, you’ll get a notification – you’ll see it at the top of your iPhone or iPad screen. These notifications are sent to 20, 10 and 5% left.
Ask your virtual assistant
Did you know that you can also ask Siri for the battery status of your AirPods?
This is one of the things virtual assistants are made for.
Here’s what to do:
- If you’re currently using AirPods, you don’t need to take them out or put them in the suitcase. However, you’ll need to clarify what you’re asking Siri about – the pods or the case.
- If your AirPods are in their charging case, Siri will notify you of the two battery levels when you ask.
Here is another way to check the battery status of your AirPods as well as any other device that you have connected to your iPhone.
Widgets are on your home screen and give you quick access to a number of handy functions. Follow the steps below to install them on your phone screen:
- Unlock your phone and stay on the home screen.
- Touch and hold an empty spot on your screen.
- You will see the Add button with a plus sign in the upper left corner.
- Choose the battery widget, choose the size you think is appropriate and tap Add Widget.
- To confirm your choice, select Done.
Another way is to add the battery level widget to today’s view.
- To open today’s view, drag the mouse from your Home screen.
- Type and hold an empty spot.
- Go to Add in the top left corner.
- Find the widget you want to install and customize it to fit your screen.
- When you’re done, tap the Add Widget and Done buttons.
How long does the battery last?
The battery life of AirPods is quite large. According to Apple’s official website, you can listen to music for five hours non-stop before you run out of battery, in an ideal scenario. You can also talk for three hours on a single charge.
If you use the case to charge the battery throughout the day, this time is up to 24 hours of listening. After that, you will also need to charge your case. Multiple charges also allow you to talk for 18 hours before recharging the case.
Sometimes all it takes is charging AirPods for just five to fifteen minutes to get up to three hours of music or about an hour of phone time.
Make the manager pay
Yes it might sound a little weird, but you have to load the case first because the pods are loaded through it.
When you’re not sure your AirPods are charging, there are two ways to find out. If your phone is nearby, you will be able to see exactly how much battery power is in the pods and holster. Otherwise, you just need to check the case status light.
How long is the battery life of your AirPods? How often do you charge the case? Let us know in the “Comments” section below.