Save a picture of someone’s words and capture a funny or important moment with a screenshot from your iPhone. IPhone does not have a dedicated screen capture app. This is because you capture the screen by pressing the buttons on the device.
The instructions in this article apply to devices running iOS 2.0 and above.
To take a screenshot on iPhone or iPod Touch, press a combination of buttons at the same time. The buttons depend on the phone model.
For many years, iPhone screenshots involved the use of the “Home” button, but Apple removed that button from iPhone X and later models like the XS and XR.
To take screenshots without the “Home” button:
- Display the content you want to screenshot on the iPhone screen. For example, display a website, a text message, or a screen in one of your apps.
- Push the button lateral (formerly known as the sleep / wake button) and thevolume increase.
- The screen flashes and the camera sounds, indicating that you have taken a screenshot. Additionally, a thumbnail of the screenshot appears in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Touch the thumbnail image to edit or share the screenshot. You can also erase it from the left edge of the screen to remove it.
- The screenshot is saved in the Photos app.
If you have an iPhone from the original model up to 6S or any model of iPod Touch, follow these steps to take a screenshot:
- Display the content you want to capture on the screen.
- Simultaneously press the “Home” button and the “Sleep / Wake” button. On iPhone 6s and up, the “Sleep / Wake” button is located on the right side of the device. On older iPhone and iPod touch models, it is in the upper right corner.
- The screen flashes white, and the phone plays the sound of a camera shutter. A thumbnail appears in the corner of the screen.
- Tap the thumbnail to edit or share it immediately. You can also drag it off the screen to save it.
Take a screenshot on the iPhone 8 and 7 series
Taking a screenshot on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 7 series is a bit trickier than on the previous models. This is because the “Home” button on these devices is different and more sensitive, which makes the timing of button presses slightly different. Press both buttons exactly at the same time to take a screenshot.
Another way to take a screenshot: AssistiveTouch
There is a potentially easier way to take an iPhone screenshot: AssistiveTouch, an accessibility feature in iOS that adds a virtual home button to the screen. Turn on AssistiveTouch and configure it so that the screenshot requires just a few taps. It works for all iPhones and iPod Keys.
- Open Settings, touch General, then select Accessibility.
- Touch AssistiveTouch, and turn on the toggle switch AssistiveTouch.
- The AssistiveTouch button appears on the screen. Drag it and place it anywhere on the outer edge of the screen.
- In the section Custom actions, choose the action that takes a screenshot. Touch Single-Tap, Double-Tap, Long Press, or 3D Touch (on models that have this type of screen) to assign a command to this gesture.
- Press on Screenshot.
- Push the button AssistiveTouch onscreen in the way you selected (single tap, double tap, long press, or 3D key) to take a screenshot.
Where to find a screenshot of your iPhone
Your iOS device saves screenshots in a dedicated folder in the device’s preinstalled app photos. To view a screenshot:
- Tap the app Pictures to launch it.
- Touch the icon Albums in the lower bar if you are not already there.
- Scroll down and touch Captures ofscreen to see a collection of all the screenshots you’ve taken.
- You can also find them mixed with your other photos in the album Camera Roll.
When a screenshot is saved in the Photos app, you can do the same things with it as with any other photo, like text, email, or post it on social media. You can also sync it to your computer or delete it.
To share a screenshot:
- Go to the album Camera Roll or Screenshots, then tap the screenshot to open it.
- Push the button ” Share » (the box with the arrow coming out of it).
- Select the app you want to use to share the screenshot.
- The app opens, and you can finish sharing any way that’s convenient for that app.