Pairing the DualSense Controller for PS5
What there is to know
- Connect the PS5 controller using the included USB cable and press the button PS. Disconnect the cable once the controller begins to operate.
- To sync additional PS5 controllers, use the connected controller to go to Settings > Accessories > General > Bluetooth Accessories.
- On the controller you want to connect, press and hold the PS button and create it button simultaneously.
This article explains how to sync the official Sony DualSense PS5 controller with the PlayStation 5.
How to connect a PS5 controller to the PS5
When you first set up your console, the first thing you need to do is pair the controller with your PS5.
- Turn on your console and connect the DualSense controller with the included USB-C cable.
- If the controller is disabled, press the PS button in the center of the controller. The light bar on the top of the controller should flash, and the drive indicator LED should light up.
- Once the controller is working, disconnect the USB-C cable to use the wireless controller. Periodically, you will need to charge the controller by connecting it to the console or to a wall charger. The controller will charge while the PS5 is in sleep mode.
- If requested, update the system software to make sure the controller has the latest firmware updates.
Once a controller is paired with the system, you can activate the PS5 by pressing the PS button on the controller. The light bar may blink blue until it connects to the console.
You can connect a PS4 controller to a PS5 controller to play PS4 games; however, you cannot play PS5 games with the PS4 controller. You can also use the DualSense with a PS4.
Once you’ve paired a controller with your PS5, you can add more wireless controllers. You can synchronize up to four controllers at a time.
- Make sure the light bar on the top of the controller is not lit. If so, hold the PS button at center of the controller until it turns off.
- With your controller connected, go to Settings.
- Select Accessories.
- Select General.
- Select bluetooth accessories.
- On the other controller you want to connect, press and hold simultaneously the Create button and the PS button.
- With your gamepad connected, select the other controller when it appears on the screen under Accessories Found.
A PS5 controller can only be paired with one console at a time. If you pair your controller with another PS5, you’ll need to repair it with the first console before you can use it again.
PS5 Controller Troubleshooting Steps
If you are having trouble pairing your PS5 controller with the PS5 console, here are some things you can try:
- Reset the PS5 controller. Use a straightened paper clip or other sharp object to press the button synchronization found inside a small hole on the back of the controller.
- Try using a different USB-C cable to connect the controller to the console.
- Update the system software. Go to settings > System > Software system > System Software Update and Settings > Update System Software.
If your controller does not react at all, head over to Sony’s PlayStation Fix and Replace page to see if you can do it to fix.