Get visual voicemail and voicemail transcription at your fingertips
What there is to know
- For a generic greeting, go to Phone > Voicemail > Configure now> create a password> Default> Record.
- To record a personalized message, go to Phone > Voicemail > Configure now> create a password> select Custom> Save> Stop.
- For both options, press Reading to listen to the greeting, and press Record when you are satisfied with the recording.
This article shows you how to set up your voicemail on iPhone 12, shows you how to access visual voicemail, and gives you tips for managing your voicemail.
One of the first things you’ll probably want to do when you get your iPhone 12 is set up your voicemail. The good news is, if you’ve ever set up your voicemail on an iPhone, the process remains the same. If you are new to the iPhone, however, a little tutorial is needed.
- To get started, go to the app Phone from your iPhone 12.
- Touch the icon of the voicemail. It looks like two circles, connected by a straight line at the bottom.
- If this is your first time accessing your mailbox, you will see an option to configure your mailbox. Press on Configure now to begin the setup process.
- When prompted, create a voicemail password. This password must be four to six digits long.
Choose a password that you can remember. If you forget your password, there is no way to reset it from your iPhone. Instead, you will need to contact your carrier to reset it.
- You will then be prompted to choose or create a greeting. You can choose by default or custom.
- By default : The default greeting that invites the caller to leave a message.
- The custom : A greeting that you can save to measure with the information you want to include.
If you choose the option Recording sure measured, you can start recording your greeting. When you are finished, press Stop. If you want to check the voice message, press Reading to listen to the recorded greeting.
- When you are satisfied with your voicemail message, press Record to complete voicemail setup.
In the past, some mobile service operators had different instructions for setting up voicemail, so how you set up the service depended on which operator provided you with your mobile service. Modern cell phones have built-in voicemail applications, so voicemail setup is fairly consistent from carrier to carrier.
Is iPhone voicemail the same as visual voicemail?
You can see a voicemail message on your iPhone 12, called visual voicemail. Visual Voicemail is voicemail with a graphical interface, like a voicemail application. It allows you to view and select your voicemail messages, so you don’t have to listen to them in the order they were received. You can, instead, listen to your voicemail messages in the order you prefer, skipping the messages, and even skipping the messages, if you prefer.
Visual voicemail is available on almost all US mobile operator networks. It is therefore likely that it is the default voicemail for your iPhone 12.
If you want to check if visual voicemail is available from your carrier, Apple keeps up to date a list of service providers that perform this function.
Like visual voicemail, most US carriers support voicemail transcription, available on iPhone 12. To access voicemail transcription on your device, follow these instructions:
- Start by opening the app Phone on your iPhone 12.
- Press on Voice Messaging.
- The first time you tap a recent voicemail message, the app starts transcribing the message. After a few seconds, the transcript should load on the voicemail page. If you notice blank lines in the transcript (__), these are missing words that could not be transcribed because the message was garbled or unclear.
- Once the transcription is complete, you can press the ” Share » to send the voicemail transcription via AirDrop, Mail or iMessage.
Managing your iPhone 12 voicemail
You may need to change the password or your voicemail greeting. Or maybe you hate the default voicemail notification sound and want to change it. All of these options are easy to adjust.
- To change your voice mailbox greeting : Go to Phone > Voicemail and press Greeting. Then follow the instructions to change the greeting.
- To change your voicemail password : go to Settings > Phone> Edit voicemail password, then enter the new password you want to use.
- To change the notification sounds for voicemail messages : Go to Settings > Sounds and haptics> New box vocal, then select the sound you want to use in the options alert tones.
- To make a call from a voice mailbox : Tap a voicemail message to open it, and then tap the voice option. reminder.
- To delete a voice message : Tap a voicemail message to open it, and then tap Remove. Be aware that some operators may immediately and completely delete a voicemail message, so if you think you want to get it back, you should not delete it.