Protect your iPhone or iPad by setting up Face ID, then easily unlock it by looking at your device.
One way to protect your iPhone or iPad Pro is to set up the Face ID feature. It will protect your device by creating a mathematical representation of your face. Therefore, when your iPhone or iPad notices your face near the screen, it automatically unlocks.
Here’s how to set up and use Face ID on your Apple devices.
SEE AS WELL: How to use and control your iPhone from a Windows PC
Which Apple devices support Face ID?
Not all iPhones or iPads work with Face ID. Here’s a list of all the devices that do:
- iPhone X
- iPhone XR, XS or XS Max
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro or 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max
- iPad Pro from 2018 or later
If your device is not listed here, it means that it does not support this feature. But instead, you can use Touch ID, which is also a great way to secure your iPhone or iPad.
How to activate Face ID on your device
When you turn on your device for the first time after purchasing it, it will ask you if you want to activate Face ID. You can set it up right away or choose to do it later.
If you chose not to set up Face ID at first, but after a while you decided to use it, follow these simple steps to set it up:
- Open the app Settings on your device and tap Face ID & Passcode .
- If a password protects your iPhone or iPad, you will need to enter it to access these settings.
- Press on Configure Face ID . If you have already activated this feature, you can add another face by pressing Configure another appearance .
- Make sure that you are in a well-lit environment and that you can clearly see your face in the camera. Also remove anything that might cover your face, such as a mask. Press on To start .
- Place your face completely inside the frame. Then slowly turn your head around the circle until you have completed your first scan. Press on Continue .
- Perform the second scan in the same way. When you are finished scanning, tap Finished .
Now whenever you want to unlock your iPhone or iPad, it will try to detect your face. If someone else tries to do this or if they don’t recognize you, the device will ask you to enter the passcode instead.
You may need to hold your iPhone or iPad in front of your face for Face ID to accurately scan you.
How to use Face ID for apps on iPhone or iPad
You can enable Face ID not only to unlock your device, but also to open apps without needing to enter a password. However, this feature is not available for all applications. Here’s how to check which apps on your device support this feature and how to enable it:
- Head to Settings> Face ID and Passcode .
- Enter your device’s passcode to enter it.
- Press on Other applications . Here you will find a list of the apps you have already downloaded to your device that support this feature.
- To activate Face ID for a specific app, activate it with the toggle.
Face ID is also available for iTunes, the App Store, Apple Pay, and automatic password entry. To enable it for these apps and services, go to Settings> Face ID and Passcode and activate the feature or app you want to use.
Protect the information stored on your device with Face ID
Face ID is a great replacement for Touch ID, a feature that kept older iPhone models safe. It is simple to install and convenient to use. You can activate it not only to unlock your iPhone or iPad, but also to access apps, automatically enter passwords on chosen websites, make purchases and more.