The Messages app is the cornerstone of Apple’s ecosystem. Its iMessage messaging service has become very popular within a few years. The opportunity for us to remind you that it is possible to send and receive SMS, MMS and iMessages from your Mac. Find out how to set up the Messages app on your Apple computer.
Set up iMessage on your Mac
Not so easy to do without iMessage. Instant messaging has many followers around the world. Unlike Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp, everything is done automatically and transparently.
The Message application takes care of choose between SMS and iMessage depending on the smartphone models of your correspondents. You can thus converse with the whole earth without worrying about the messaging applications used by your interlocutors. As a reminder, the iMessage service remains reserved for users of Apple products only.
When you are at home, you would like to be able to use your Mac’s keyboard to chat more easily with your loved ones. Now we will see how to set up iMessage on a Mac and send iMessages to all its friends.
- Turn on your Mac
- Click on the Messages icon in your computer’s Dock at the bottom of the screen
- On older Macs, the Messages icon is in the applications folder
- On the first launch, macOS will ask you to sign in to your account
- Enter the Apple IDs you use on your iPhone
- Then click on messages at the top of the window in the menu bar
- Then select the preferences section
- Tap the iMessage tab
- Select the email address or phone number on which you want to be contacted
- Check the box to enable iCloud messages. This option allows you to synchronize messages between your Mac and your iOS devices.
- Then select from the drop-down menu the phone number or email that you want your correspondents to see when you start a new conversation
- Save and close the iMessage preferences window
Here you are, your computer is now ready to send and receive iMessages. Important detail, if your phone number does not appear in the preferences of the messages software, you will need to make sure that iMessage is activated on your phone. More information here: fix issues with iMessage app.
Enable iCloud Message on Your iPhone
ICloud’s message sharing system lets you automatically download all of your old messages to your Mac. Attention, for this to work, you must make sure that the message option in iCloud is activated on all your iOS devices (iPhone, iPad).
- Open your iPhone or iPad settings
- Click on your name at the top of the window
- Select the iCloud section
- Then make sure that the switch placed next to the message messages is activated.
This device allows you to synchronize your iMessages but also your SMS with your Mac and your Apple mobile devices. Note that if you are new to the Apple ecosystem, you will find here a method to send SMS from a Mac.