Last October, Telegram added a feature to allow group admins to send messages anonymously. The feature, which Telegram calls “batman mode,” does not reveal anonymous admins in the group list, and messages sent by anonymous admins are signed with the group name as opposed to the user’s name. Here is how you can use it in your Telegram group.
SEE AS WELL: How to send self-destructing messages in Telegram
Send anonymous messages in Telegram groups
Before we start with the steps involved, it should be noted that only admins can send anonymous messages in Telegram groups . Additionally, admins cannot choose to toggle their anonymity within their group. If you no longer wish to remain anonymous, you must ask the group owner to revoke the permission.
Enable anonymous group admins on Telegram
1. If you are a group owner, you must first allow group administrators to send messages anonymously. To do this, open the group settings, long press any of the administrator names and choose “Modify administrator rights”. You can also promote a group member to an administrator from this page.
2. In the list of administrator rights settings, return the button “Stay anonymous” . When done, tap the check mark icon in the upper right corner of the screen to confirm and save the changes.
3. Once you have this permission, you can send messages anonymously in groups. The fourth message in the screenshot below was sent from the same account after the feature was enabled. Instead of your name, Telegram displays the group name in the message. The downside to this feature is that you can’t switch between regular and anonymous messages, and you have to trust the group owner to do it for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I switch between normal and anonymous messages on Telegram?
No, you cannot switch seamlessly between anonymous and regular messages. The group owner must manually revoke your ability to send anonymous messages.
2. Can a group member send anonymous messages to Telegram?
No. The anonymous group administrator function, as the name suggests, is intended for group administrators. You can hide your profile picture and phone number in privacy settings if you don’t want others to identify you.
3. What happens to messages sent with a custom administrator title?
If you have a custom admin title in the group, Telegram will display it next to your message, even if it is sent anonymously. You can ask the group owner to remove the custom administrator title from your account to prevent this.
Use the Anonymous Group Admins feature on Telegram
The anonymous group administrator feature is often overlooked by many Telegram users and we hope this guide has helped you to enable and use the feature in Telegram groups. If you have any further questions regarding the feature, please feel free to reach out to us in the comments and we’ll try to help. For more tips, see our article on Telegram tips and tricks. Also, don’t forget to read our guide onimporting WhatsApp chats to Telegram if you are planning to switch from WhatsApp to Telegram.