Typically, when scanning multiple pages, the scanning device will create a new file for each scan. This works if the scanned pages do not need to be combined. However, when scanning a multi-page document, it can sometimes be useful to create a PDF file that contains all the scanned pages. You can scan multiple pages into a single PDF file on almost all popular platforms, namely Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Scan multiple pages into one PDF in Windows using NAPS2
Windows PCs come preloaded with a utility called Windows Fax and Scan to help users scan documents. However, this utility cannot create a single PDF from multiple scans.
This is where the batch scan mode of a free and open source application like NAPS2 can scan multiple pages and save them as a PDF file.
If you have already installed the drivers for your scanner, here’s how to use this application to scan multiple pages into one PDF:
- Connect the scanner to the Windows PC using a cable.
- Download, install and launch the app NAPS2 on the PC.
- On the main app screen, select Profiles. Add a profile for the scanner to the app.
- To select New in the next screen to add a new profile.
- Enter a name for the profile above; it could be a name of your choice.
- Then select Choose a device, select your scanner from the list and select Okay.
- Configure various options on the screen, then select Okay down.
- To select finish to close the Profiles window.
- Put the first page in the scanner.
- Return to NAPS2, select the small arrow next to Analysis and select Batch analysis. You can also press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + B.
- In the window, select the newly created profile from the drop-down menu Profile.
- To choose Multiple scans (prompt between scans).
- In the section Exit, select Save to single file.
- Then select the three points in the field File path to choose a folder in which to save the PDF file.
- Finally, select Start at the top to start scanning the page.
- When the first page is scanned, a message appears on the screen. Place the next page in the scanner and select Analysis in this prompt.
- After all the pages have been scanned, select finish in the prompt.
A single PDF containing all scans should be available in the specified directory.
Scan multiple pages into one PDF on macOS using preview
On macOS, the built-in preview app can be used to create PDF from multiple scans. Steps to use preview to scan multiple pages into one PDF:
- Make sure the scanner is connected to the Mac with a cable.
- Select the Launching ramp in the Dock on your Mac, search for Overview and open the app.
- When the preview opens, select the menu Deposit and select Import from.
- If you don’t see any options on the screen, select Show the details down.
- To select PDF in the drop-down menu Format To the right.
- Select option Combine into one document.
- Change the other options as needed.
- Select the scan preview on the left and press Command + A on the keyboard. This selects the entire scan.
- To select Analysis down.
- Place the next page in the scanner and select Analysis Overview.
- Select the Background Preview window to view the PDF file.
- Select the menu Deposit and select Save to save the file.
In addition to the preview, you can use Image Capture to scan multiple pages in a single PDF file on macOS.
Scan Multiple Pages to PDF File on Android Using Google Drive
Google Drive is one of the many apps that can be used to combine multiple page scans into one PDF file. Here’s how to do it:
- Install the app Google drive on your phone.
- Launch the app Google drive and tap the icon Add (+) in the lower right corner.
- To select Analysis to open the scan function.
- To start scanning, point your phone’s camera at the page you want to scan. Press the shutter button when the document appears correctly in the camera frame
- If the result looks good, press the check mark icon to save the first scan, otherwise press X to restart the scanning process.
- Preview the first scan. To add a page to this new PDF, tap the icon Add (+) in the lower left corner.
- Repeat this process for all pages of the document.
- Finally, press Save to save the single PDF containing the multiple scans.
- Name the PDF, choose an account, select a folder to save the file to, and press Save.
Scan multiple pages into one PDF file on iOS using Apple Notes
When using an iPhone or iPad, use the Apple Notes app to scan multiple pages in a single PDF file.
To use this feature, make sure your iPhone or iPad is running iOS 11 or later. Check the current version of iOS by going to Settings > General > Information on the device. You will see the iOS version next to A software version.
After verifying that your device is running the supported iOS version, follow these steps to scan multiple pages into a single PDF file:
- Open the app To note on the device.
- Tap the icon at the bottom right to create a new note.
- On the new notes screen, tap the sign Add (+) below and choose Scan documents.
- Point the camera at the document and press the shutter button to take a photo of the document.
- Adjust the captured photo using the onscreen managers. To touch Continue to scan below if the scan looks correct. Otherwise, press Shoot again to take a new photo of the page.
- Repeat the steps for all the pages.
- When all the pages have been scanned, press Save in the lower right corner.
- Tap the document you just scanned in Notes.
- Tap the share icon at the top right to share the multiple scanned pages as a single PDF file.
Bonus Tip: Use the Default Scanner App to Create PDF Files
Almost all scanner manufacturers have applications to help scan documents. Enable this option in these applications to combine multiple scans into one PDF file.
Brands like HP, Epson is Cannon they have instructions on their sites on how to create PDF from multiple scanned pages. Hopefully any of the above methods will get you to create your PDF quickly. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment.