Hey geeks… !! Welcome back. I hope that you all are ok. Today I am going to discuss something related to malware in your Mac. As we all notice sometimes, our device will lag or restart randomly without any indication. It is due to virus or malware in your Mac device. For that, we need to remove this malware from your device as soon as possible. So, if you are looking for how to remove malware from Mac, this article will help you remove malware from your device. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
Indications that your Mac contains malware:
Now I will discuss some indications or warning signs that help you know that you are experiencing virus or malware on your device.
- Your Mac will automatically shut down and restart randomly.
- The most common problem that you notice is lag in your device.
- You can see this folder or any type of file that won’t open.
- Your disk space will easily fill up and you may see error messages every time.
- Sometimes your browser also changes the home page or the search engine.
Methods to remove malware from Mac:
Well, here in this article, I am going to provide you with the best solutions to remove malware from Mac with easy steps that you can do with your hands. Follow each method carefully.
# 1. Check the activity monitor:
If you have noticed any of the above warning signs on your device, you need to check the activity monitor. Follow the steps below.
- The first step you need to do is go to applications option and then click on utility option.
- In the utility, make sure to click on the Activity Monitor option. In this click on the CPU tab.
- Now make sure to look for the processes that consume a lot of power and check the same for the memory tab.
- Likewise, repeat the process for the Disk tab and check for any unusual activity, then force quit the application.
# 2. Disconnect from the Internet:
Most of the time the malware on your Mac device is mainly due to the internet connection which most of the hackers could steal your data. So, be sure to disconnect from the internet.
- The first step that you need to do is open the system preferences and click on the network option.
- In the network option make sure you click on the Wi-Fi option. Then turn off the Wi-Fi option.
- If you are using Ethernet, go to Ethernet and disable the IPv4 configuration option.
- Once the whole process is finished, finally click on the Apply option.
Sometimes users add browser extensions based on their needs. But these extensions can cause malware on your Mac device. Carefully follow the steps below.
- The first step that you need to do is click on the safari option and choose the preferences option.
- Now go to General and click on the extensions option in the tab.
- Then make sure to scan for any suspicious extensions and then uninstall them.
# 4. Enter Safe Mode:
Well, if none of the above solutions work for you, you can just boot into Safe Mode. Carefully follow the steps below.
- First, turn off your Mac and press the power button for about 10 seconds.
- Then you can see the startup window, then click on startup disk and hold down the Shift button.
- After that you can see continue in Safe Mode, make sure to click on it and then release the Shift button.
- Finally, turn on your Mac and enter your Apple credentials.
# 5. Run a malware scanner:
As there are many antivirus apps that help you to run malware scan on your Mac device. Likewise, MacKeeper Antivirus is one of them. Carefully follow the steps below.
- First, click on the antivirus option and then choose the option to start scanning.
- Now wait a while to complete the whole scan.
- If you have found anything suspicious, be sure to click on the go to quarantine option.
- Then go to the quarantine option and make sure to delete all files.
# 6. Check Mac login items for malware:
If none of the above methods work for you, check your Mac login items for malware. Carefully follow the steps below.
- First, click on the Apple logo and make sure you click on the system preferences option.
- In the System Preferences, click on the Users and Groups option.
- Then be sure to click on the options of the connection items and you can remove the items you don’t want.
# 7. Remove all suspicious apps:
Like the login items, you also need to remove some suspicious apps from your Mac device. Like you, always install or download apps according to your needs. But sometimes apps can cause viruses on your device.
So go through the apps option and make sure to uninstall the apps you don’t use and remove or uninstall suspicious apps as well.
# 8. Use CleanMyMac:
Well, using any troubleshooter app can fix this malware on your Mac device. Here I am using CleanMyMac app to remove malware from Mac. Carefully follow the steps below.
- The first step you need to do is install CleanMyMac on your device.
- Launch the app and go to the malware removal option, then click on the scan option.
- After the scan is complete, if you found any files, make sure to click Delete and it’s done.
Sometimes, if you encounter malware on your Mac, the default homepage of browsers is changed. So be sure to check the browser’s home page.
- If you are using a Chrome browser, go to the Settings option in the right corner.
- Now go to the search engine and find your default webpage.
- Well if you are using Safari go to preferences and click on general.
- Then make sure to select the homepage option and find your default homepage.
#ten. Clear your cache:
Having a cache in your device can cause malware in your device. Follow the steps below to clear your device’s cache.
- The first step is to chrome and click on history and click on clear browsing data.
- In that, go to the time range and click on the all time option and finally click on erase data.
- If you are a Safari browser, go to Safari and click on the Preferences option.
- Then click on privacy and choose manage website data and make sure you click remove all options.
- How do I know my device contains malware?
Well, there are some indications or warning signs like slowing down your device, random restarting etc.
- How to remove malware from Mac?
If you are looking to remove malware from Mac, be sure to remove all suspicious browser extensions and apps.
- What is the best malware removal for Mac?
Some of the best malware removals for Mac are Avast, Bitdefender, Clario, Kaspersky, etc.
Finally, I can conclude that if you have malware on your Mac and want to remove it, this article will help you remove it. In this article, I have given you the 10 best methods along with explanations. Hope this article helps you in a big way. Thank you for reading this article.
Well if you geeks have any questions you can share them in the comments section. If you found this useful, share it with your loved ones.
Thank you for choosing OMGEEKY.
Myself Nadhiya, I am an editor and author at OMGeeky, I love to write tech related content to help my users. Apart from that, i love to travel, passionate about cooking, art, singing, dancing, love sharing knowledge, patience, few friends, happy soul, caring, helping the poor, shopaholic , warm person.