Do you regret downloading MacKeeper? Tired of constantly receiving notifications from the software? In this tutorial, find out, step by step, how to permanently remove this utility from your Mac.
Remove the MacKeeper icon from your menu bar
Have you installed MacKeeper but no longer need it? You can then delete it by first deleting its icon from your menu bar (Dock).
However, note that if it is an older version, it is not enough to right-click on it to display its Exit option. In addition, it also does not respond to the Force Quit command (option + command + esc).
So, to erase MacKeeper, follow the 4 steps below:
- Launch MacKeeper from your file Applications.
- Click on the menu MacKeeper then on Preferences.
- Click on General.
- Uncheck the box Show MacKeeper icon.
Now that you’ve got rid of the MacKeeper icon, you can uninstall its app.
- Go to the folder Applications.
- Drag the MacKeeper icon into the Basket.
- Finally, a window appears, confirm your wish to uninstall it by clicking on OK.
Remove all traces of MacKeeper
Although you have deleted MacKeeper, some files may also remain on your Mac. We recommend that you get rid of it, so that you have more storage space. For it :
- Simultaneously press the Shift + Ordered + H.
- In the folder with your name, find the file MacKeeper Backups and move it into the Basket.
There are also other locations in which your files could be housed. To take a look, here is the procedure:
- See you in Finder
- In the menu bar, click To go, then on Go to folder.
- In the search bar, copy / paste the following locations and delete what you find there:
- ~ / Library / Application Support / MacKeeper Helper.
- ~ / Library / Caches / com.mackeeper.MacKeeper
- ~ / Library / Caches / com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.Helper
- ~ / Library / LaunchAgents / com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.Helper.plist
- ~ / Library / Application Support / MacKeeper Helper
The MacKeeper poll
After uninstalling MacKeeper, Safari may automatically open a window redirecting you to a survey. This one is optional, so you can ignore it if you want.
Remove MacKeeper pop-ups in Safari
Are you infected with MacKeeper promotional pop-ups while using Safari? Find out how to fix the problem in 3 points:
- Exit Safari by holding down the keys Ordered + Option + Esc.
- Relaunch Safari while pressing the key Shift.
- See you in Preferences → Extensions and erase anything you don’t need.
Remove MacKeeper pop-ups in Chrome
If you also see MacKeeper ads on Google Chrome, then go to Window → Extensions.
A list of the various installed extensions appears, if you are in doubt about them, then uninstall them.