VLC Media Player has many uses, but did you know that it can record your screen as well? Here is how to easily record your screen using VLC.
At some point, you might need to record a video of your desktop. Maybe you want to capture footage from a favorite game or record the steps of an issue you are having. While you can record your Windows screen without installing anything, there is another way.
VLC Media Player, the versatile video tool, has yet another hidden trick. It can record your screen without any additional software. Here is how it works.
How to record your screen using VLC
- Open VLC Media Player by searching for it in the Start menu.
- Click on the tab Media in the toolbar and select Convert / Save.
- Switch to the tab Capture device.
- Here, modify the drop-down list Capture mode sure Office.
- Set a number of frames per second in the area Desired frame rate. For basic screen recordings, 15FPS should work correctly. If you need high quality recording, try 30FPS. Higher frame rate means smoother recording but larger file size.
- Click on the button Convert / Save to open the next dialog box.
- Select Browse in look of the area Destination file and choose a location to save the recording.
- Click on Start once you have done this to start recording. VLC will record everything on the screen, with no indication that it is doing so.
- To stop recording, click on the button Stop on the VLC interface and it will automatically save the file. You will find it waiting in MP4 format at the location you specified earlier.
See Also: How to Convert Video Files to MP3 Using VLC
That’s all it takes to do a quick recording of your screen. VLC doesn’t offer advanced features like dedicated recorders, but it’s easy to use in a pinch. Now you can share what’s on your screen anytime – no more using your phone’s camera!