Facebook Messenger is, in fact, one of the most widely used cross-platform messaging apps on the planet. Thanks to its integration with Facebook, just about all Facebook users use Messenger to connect with people. This, in turn, makes sending text messages incredibly easy as well. But, if you like quiet, turning on the active status might not be the worst idea either. Today we are also going to teach you how to turn off active status on Facebook Messenger and also stop appearing online for all or a select few users. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Block Someone From Seeing You Online on Facebook Messenger. Let’s get started!
What is the active status on Facebook Messenger?
Active status on Facebook just means you’re available on the app and ready to chat quickly. It is marked with an encouraging green dot on the mobile application. Whenever Web Messenger displays a discrete “Active Now” status.
Plus, it also shows when a user was last active – in the Messenger app – which is an encouragement for many.
What is the most important thing to remember about disabling active state?
As we mentioned before, Messenger’s active status is designed to tell your friends if you’re ready for a chat. And to deactivate this, you need to deactivate the active status.
But, turning off active status seems like an easier said than done. According to Facebook, you would continue to appear online as long as you don’t turn off the active status on all platforms. What this actually means is that even if you turn off the active status on Facebook, you will still have the green dot on the Messenger app.
Therefore, to completely deactivate the active state, you’ll need to go to every device and platform – where you use Messenger – and manually turn it off. For example: if you are using Messenger Web, Facebook Web and Messenger on Android. Next, you will need to go to each app / website on each device and then turn off active status.
If you are using Messenger on your mobile – Android or iOS – you can easily turn off active status by playing around with the settings. First of all, you need to open the Facebook Messenger app and sign in with the correct credentials. Now click on your profile picture in the top left corner to go to settings.
Then just click on “Active Status”.
Turn it off by tapping the toggle next to “Show when you’re active.” Finally, confirm your action by pressing “Deactivate”.
Facebook Messenger can also be accessed in two ways on a PC. You can either go to Messenger.com to access the web version or download the desktop client and then serve your texting needs from there.
- First, go to the official Messenger website and sign in with the required credentials. Now tap on the gear icon (Settings) at the top of the left panel. Then just head to “Settings”.
- Finally, tap the toggle next to “Show when you’re active.”
Messenger desktop client
- Open the Messenger desktop client, then sign in with your Facebook username and password. Now tap on your profile picture and go to “Preferences”.
- Here you will also see “Active Status” as the first option. Tap the toggle under “Show Active Status” to turn it off.
- Last, but not the least, now let’s take a look at the method of disabling chat for all contacts on Facebook.com. First, you need to log into your Facebook account and then tap on the cogwheel icon (“Options”) at the bottom of the chat sidebar. When a menu appears, just click on “Disable Active Status”.
- Then choose “Disable active status for all contacts” and press “OK”.
- You can’t really turn off active status for specific contacts through Web Messenger, Mobile Messenger, or the desktop client. Thus, you will have to go through Facebook.com in order to deactivate the active status for particular contacts.
- To turn it off, simply log into your Facebook profile and tap the gear icon (“Options”) just below the chat sidebar. Then click on “Disable Active Status”.
- On the next screen, choose “Disable active status for certain contacts only and also add the contacts in the text field below.
On the other side of the topic discussed earlier, we also have this – the option to turn off active status for all but a few contacts. This feature is actually especially useful when you want to remain available only for a few selected contacts and you also want to remain unavailable for others. But, as in the previous section, this one is also only available through Facebook and not Messenger.
In order to deactivate the active status for all except a few contacts. First of all, you will need to log into your Facebook account. Then also press the small gear icon (“Options”) just below the chat window. Now tap on “Disable Active Status”.
A pane would open, prompting you to choose from the three options. Choose “Disable active status for all contacts except…” and also enter the names of the contacts in the text field.
Do people who are mute, blocked or ignored see your active status?
Muting doesn’t really change the way someone sees you on Facebook. This means that muting someone has no impact on how the person interacts with you. They could still send you messages and