What there is to know
- All music player apps are available from the Microsoft Store.
- It is possible to listen to music and podcasts while playing a game using Spotify.
- The Xbox S Series cannot play physical audio CDs.
This article explains how to play music on the Xbox Serie X or S as well as how to play podcasts or use audio CDs with the system.
What applications and services are compatible?
Rather than having a dedicated media player, the Xbox Series X or S has a store that provides a lot of apps and services so that you can download the right one for your tastes and needs. Apps like Spotify, SoundCloud, Groove Music, and Deezer are all available, along with more generic solutions like Media Player and Audio CD Player. If you want to listen to podcasts, Casts is a good option for your podcast listening needs.
Spotify is one of the largest music streaming services available. It takes a few seconds to setup on your Xbox Series X or S. Here’s how.
- Download and install the Spotify app from the Microsoft Store.
- Open the app and click Login.
- Choose to log in either through the app, pairing pin (if you’re near a computer) or through entering your username details.
- Click on a playlist you want to listen to.
- Click on Read.
- The music will now play.
If you’d rather listen to a podcast rather than music, this is also an option for Xbox Series X or S owners. Here’s how to do it.
- Download and install the Casts app from the Microsoft Store.
- Open the app and click Browse.
- Click on a podcast category that interests you.
- Click on the thumbnail of the podcast you want to listen to.
- Scroll through the list of episodes and click on the individual episode you want to start.
Still have audio CDs that you’d like to listen to? One of the easiest ways to play them on your Xbox Series X is to use Groove Music. Previously a music streaming service, the app is now a great way to play audio CDs. Here is how to do it.
Only the Xbox Series X has a physical disc drive. Xbox Series S cannot play audio CDs due to its lack of a disc drive.
- Install Groove Music from the Microsoft Store.
- Place the audio CD in the disc drive of your Xbox Series X.
- The audio CD should be auto-play. If not, open the Groove Music app and click Read all.
Album artwork should also be automatically retrieved.
If you are using Spotify, you can still play music while playing a game. Here’s what to do.
- Start playing Spotify by the above method.
- Press the illuminated center button on your Xbox Series X or S controller.
- Scroll down and click My games and apps.
- Find the game you want to play and press A to open it. The song will now continue to play while you play a game.