An XPS file it is a document based on a new XML format, created by Microsoft especially for electronic files, easy to open, share or print.
They can be open simply and quickly, using desktop or online applications. That is why below we will explain how to do it and how to convert them to other formats.
With PC programs
Depending on the operating system you have on the computer, You will have a special program to open the XPS file. In the following sections, you will see the steps to follow.
If you have Windows 10, you can enable XPS file viewer as follows:
- Simultaneously press the “Win + I”. A window of “Setting”.
- Hurry “Apps”.
- Click on “Optional Features”.
- Hurry “Add a feature”.
- Swipe and click “XPS Viewer” to select “To install”. Wait for the program to install.
- Now, go to the .xps file and press the right mouse button to choose “To open”. You can also double-click directly, since the file will have the XPS viewer icon.
Keep in mind that Microsoft is the one who developed these file types, so they might not be compatible with macOS. This operating system does not have a native program that allows playback, you must turn to external applications like XPS & VSD Viewer Pro. It is a free application that you can download via this link. Once you have installed it, you have to right click in the .xps file and select “Open with XPS and VSD Viewer Pro”.
On the other hand, you also have a called payment program NiXPS. To download it, you must click on this link. Once installed, select “File > Open”. Find the file on your computer and double-click to open it.
The app available for opening .xps files on Linux is Ghostscript. It is an application that you can download via this link. It works just as well for opening files of this type as PDFs. Is free and it doesn’t require a lot of storage space. The web portal is in English, but it can be translated using the browser.
With mobile apps
If you want open the .xps file on your phone, You must use mobile applications according to your mobile phone’s operating system, either Android or iOS. In the following sections, you will see the applications available for each.
If you have an Android device, you can use some of the following tools to open or convert an XPS file:
- XPS Viewer: it’s a free tool compatible with XPS/OXPS files. It doesn’t require a lot of storage space (it weighs 18MB) and works without an internet connection. If you want to try it, click on the following link.
- File Viewer for Android: although it requires a good storage space, it is one of the best options to choose, because it is compatible with more than 150 formats. Support XPS, Zip, 7-Zip, Doc, Docx, Ppt, etc. To download it, click on this link.
- XPS to PDF: This app scans all XPS and OXPS files you have on your phone. By selecting them, you can directly change them to PDF format and rename them. Works without internet connection and supports all sizes. To use it, click on this link.
- XPS Converter: If you want to convert an XPS file to another format, you can do it through this application. You can choose the output format between PDF, DOC and DOCX. It is very light and easy to use. Click this link to download XPS Converter.
If you have a iOS phone, You have 2 applications to open or convert .xps files. These are:
XPS View: this application allows open and read XPS and OpenXPS documents. It provides a good reading experience as it has several basic tools like scroll, zoom out, zoom in, etc. In addition to being a spectator, also works as a PDF converter, so you will have a 2 in 1 application. If you want to download it, press this link.
- XPS to PDF converter: its main feature is that you can import files from Drive, Dropbox, Gmail and iCloud. It has no size or conversion limits and allows you to send the converted file directly through different applications. If you want to try XPS to PDF Converter, click this link.
Web pages to convert
You also have web pages that simplify the conversion process and offer convert XPS file to PDF or other format. Some of the most recommended web portals are:
- Converted: it has an easy to use interface and also has different conversion formats document and image or presentation (JPG, PNG, PDF, SVG, BMP, etc.). To use it, click this link and select the file from your computer, Drive or Dropbox account.
- XP to PDF: it has a simple but effective interface, since you can convert XPS or OXPS files to PDF and vice versa. It supports up to 20 simultaneous files and these can be downloaded in a ZIP file. This is your link to enter the web portal.
- Online2PDF– Like the previous tool, it supports up to 20 files at a time, but cannot exceed 150 MB. By simply selecting the file from your computer or dragging it onto the page, you can get a simple and hassle-free PDF. Click on this link to access Online2PDF.
In case you need create an XPS file on your Windows computer, you need to perform the following steps:
- Locate yourself on the site and press the keys at the same time “CTRL+P”.
- Click on the list in “Destination” and hurry “See more…”.
- Hurry “Microsoft XPS Document Writer”.
- Click on “To print”. You will see that the file will be created.
To note: The process to create an XPS file from a web page has been explained, however, these steps are similar in case you want to create an XPS file from a Word document. To do this, you just have to press “File > print“And on the printer you need to select”Microsoft XPS Document Writer”.
In short, you have at your disposal Windows XPS Viewer to open .xps files on Windows computers. If you have a Mac, use XPS & VSD Viewer Pro. If you want to simplify the reading process, use some of the conversion web pages mentioned.