In this article we will see how to manage Chrome extensions, how to install and uninstall them, let’s move on. Google Chrome allows third-party software developers to add functionality to the web browser by creating extensions.
You can install extensions with one click and remove them just as easily if you decide to stop using them. Use the Chrome extensions menu to remove an extension from the browser. Below is a complete tutorial on how to manage Chrome extensions, activate and deactivate them with one click.
What are Chrome Extensions?
An extension should have a minimal interface but can also extend to a web page, but the main goal is to provide good functionality with less overhead. The extensions are packaged in a .crx package, the user has to download the package and install it. The Chrome extension is published in the Chrome Web Store.
There are certain methods to install and uninstall Google Chrome extensions, most people will only take a few seconds to add or remove the Chrome extension from the browser.
There are several ways to install a Chrome extension, but we’ll go through the “normal” method first.
- Choose a Chrome extension from the Chrome Web Store.
- Select the button named Add to Chrome.
- Choose Add Extension when the installation pop-up window appears.
To add your homemade Chrome extension, you must first activate a special mode so that Chrome allows you to import raw files:
- Select the three-dot menu at the top right of Chrome.
- Go to More Tools> Extensions.
- Tap the button next to Developer Mode at the top of the page.
- Click the Unpacked Download button.
- Find and select the folder containing the Chrome extension files.
- Choose Select Folder.
Follow these steps to install a Chrome extension that isn’t in a folder, such as a CRX file that you downloaded from a third-party site or created yourself:
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 above (from the second set of instructions).
- From the Extensions screen, drag the CRX file onto the page.
- Select Add extension.
It is very easy to get rid of unwanted extensions from Chrome. You can do it a certain way extremely simple from the toolbar, but if the extension is not visible, there is another way to access the uninstall option. Both are described below.
Do you see the extension icon in the toolbar? If so, right click on the extension icon and select Remove from chrome … from the drop-down menu.
If you don’t see the extension icon, it might be because you hid it. Another reason is that you are in incognito mode and the extension is not configured to be used in that mode (i.e. if it only works in normal mode, which is the option default for all extensions).
Fortunately, there is another way to get rid of the extension. For Chrome extensions that are currently not visible, open the Extensions page to see all installed extensions:
- Select the three-dot Chrome menu and go to More tools> Extensions.
- Find the extension you want to remove.
- Click on the Remove button.
- Confirm the uninstallation by selecting again Remove.
Chrome extensions are not enabled in incognito mode. At least not by default. But if you want, you can force Chrome to enable extensions in incognito mode from the Extensions page:
- Navigate to the Extensions page by following the instructions above. Do this from a normal Chrome window (no incognito).
- Select the Details button next to the extension in question.
- Scroll to parameter Allow private browsing and activate the option by selecting the button on the right.