What there is to know
- Choose a YouTube video, then enter gif in the URL just before YouTube. Press on Entrance > Choose start time > Confirm end time > Create GIF .
- Copy video url in Giphy’s GIF Maker> set duration. Click on Continue to decorate > Continue to download > Download to GIPHY .
This article shows you how to make a GIF from a YouTube video using gifs.com and Giphy.
SEE AS WELL: The 5 best GIF keyboards for SMS and Emojis on Android
The easiest way to make a GIF from video: GIFS.com
There is a lot of fodder for making GIFs on video platforms like YouTube. The easiest way to make a GIF is so simple, you’ll wonder if it really is that easy. This method uses an online service called gifs.com.
- Start by finding a video on Youtube that you want to use for your GIF.
- In the address bar of your browser, type gif in the URL just before Youtube in the address, then press Entrance.
3. The video will open in the gifs.com video editor, and there will be a pink slider on the timeline below the GIF that you can move to choose the start time of the video. When you find where you want to start, click on it.
4. Once you’ve chosen the start time, the timeline expands and a short section of it is highlighted in blue. This is the suggested length of the GIF you are creating. You can grab and drag either side of the blue box (shaded in a darker blue) to change the start and end times.
5. If you know the exact start and / or end time of the video section you want to use for a GIF, you can also enter it manually in the boxes Start time and End time.
- If you want to add additional embellishments to the video, you will find options for those on the left side of the screen. Standard options include:
- Fall out
- Flip vertically
- Flip horizontally There are also two experimental features called PingPong and Warp. PingPong loops your GIF back and forth, and Warp lets you speed up or slow down your GIF.
- Once you are done editing your GIF, click the button Create a GIF in the upper right corner of the screen
8. You will be prompted to fill in some information about the GIF including GIF title, tags, choose if the GIF is NSFE, if you want to turn on sound, or if you want to add a watermark. You can also decide if you want the GIF to be public or private. Make your choices, then click Following.
9. The GIF will be generated and you will be redirected to a link where you can share with your friends on social networks, copy the link to share in other places, or download the GIF to your device.
NOTE: GIFs you create using this method will have the gifs.com logo on them. You can remove it, but you will need to pay a premium subscription of the service to do so.
How to make a GIF from a YouTube video with Giphy
Another free service that you can use is Giphy. Giphy is a great source of GIFs created by others, but it’s also an easy-to-use tool for creating your own GIFs.
TRICK: In order to use Giphy to create a GIF, you will need to register for an account. It’s free, but they ask for your name and email address.
- First, find the YouTube video you want to use to make a GIF.
- Copy video url and paste it into GIF Maker by Giphy.
NOTE: For Giphy to work properly, the length of the original video you use to create a GIF must be less than 15 minutes.
3. A new screen will automatically appear allowing you to set the duration and start time of your GIF. After setting the duration and start time, click Continue to decorate.
4. On the next screen you have options for Legend , Stickers , Filters and Drawing . Each of these tabs has additional options that you can use to make the GIF unique. When you have finished decorating it, click Continue to download.
5. When the screen Add information appears, you can change the Source url if it is different from the one you entered to begin with and Add tags if you want to make the GIF easily viewable by others. There is also the option to render the GIF public . This option is on by default, but if you don’t want it to be public, you can click to turn it off. When you are finished, click Download to GIPHY.
6. Once the file is uploaded, you will receive the final GIF. On the right side of the screen you’ll find all the options to share it and your GIF will be included in Giphy’s search (if you’ve made it public) for others to find.
Other options to create a GIF from a YouTube video
These are two of the fastest and easiest methods to quickly create a GIF from a YouTube video, but there are plenty of other options available. You will find both downloadable GIF makers and websites that will let you make a GIF using YouTube or any other video. Many of them are free, and some are just as easy to use as these two examples.