Let’s admit it; we have always been advised to run two or more operating systems on our computers. This is possible with dual boot, but you cannot run two operating systems simultaneously in dual boot.
To run two or more operating systems on one computer, it is best to rely on virtualization products. Virtualization products like VirtualBox let you create virtual machines and run different operating systems.
Let’s say you’re using a Windows PC, but want to experiment with Linux. In this case, you can install virtualization software on your Windows PC and experiment with Linux.
What is VirtualBox?
VirtualBox is a very popular open source software for virtualization of the x86 computer architecture. We won’t discuss anything technical as you might find it difficult to understand.
Simply, you can take VirtualBox as a software package that lets you use your PC’s storage to create a virtual environment.
After creating a virtual machine, you can run another operating system on it. Let’s say you’re using a Windows PC but want to experience Linux. With a virtual machine, you can run Linux with your Windows PC.
So it is an open source software that helps to run an operating system in another operating system.
System Requirements for VirtualBox
Although VirtualBox may seem simple, it has a long list of requirements. Not all computers can handle Virtualbox. Not only do you need a mid to high-end PC, but also a compatible CPU to run Virtualbox.
Below we have listed the system requirements to run VirtualBox on a Windows 11 PC. Check it out.
- Processor : a processor with “virtualization technology” is required. You also need a multi-core processor with at least 4 cores to run it on a device.
- Storage : 20 GB minimum for each virtual machine.
- RAM: A minimum of 4 GB is required for virtualization. 8 GB is recommended for smoother performance.
- GPUs: Required if you want to run graphics-intensive applications on the VM.
So here is the system requirements to run virtualbox on a PC. Even if your processor has virtualization technology, you may need to enable it from the BIOS/UEFI screen.
Download the latest version of VirtualBox for PC
Now that you know what VirtualBox is, you can download VirtualBox on your PC.
Since VirtualBox is open source software, it is free and anyone can download and install it without spending anything. These are the download link on official VirtualBox website.
Steps to Install VirtualBox on Windows 11
After downloading VirtualBox, you can install it. However, during installation you will have many different options. Some features and options confuse you; That’s why we’ve come up with a simple method to install VirtualBox on PC Windows 11.
1. First, download and install the VirtualBox installer on your PC. You can get the download links from the above section.
2. Once downloaded, run the Oracle VM Virtualbox installer and accept the terms of the license agreement.
3. Select thelocation VirtualBox installer and click Following.
4. Now you will see the Network Interfaces warning. Click on the button Yes. This will temporarily disconnect you from your internet connection.
5. On the ready to install screen, click the button Install.
6. Now you have to wait for VirtualBox to install on your PC.
7. Once installed, open VirtualBox on your computer from the Start menu. You will see a similar screen.
8. To add a virtual machine, click the icon New at the top.
9. Now name the new virtual machineselect the virtual machine installation folder and the OS ISO file you want to install.
Important : you will be prompted to enable virtualization before installing a virtual machine. The steps to enable virtualization depend on the processor and motherboard you have. You can watch YouTube videos on how to enable virtualization or SVM mode on your processor.
That’s it! In another article, we will discuss installing Windows, Linux, macOS, etc., on VirtualBox. It involved installing VirtualBox on a PC.
So, that’s all about how to download and install VirtualBox on Windows 11 PC. If you need more help installing VirtualBox on PC, let us know in the comments. Also check out this guide if you want to learn how to install Windows 11 on an incompatible PC.
Leave a Reply