Instagram: Get a verified account badge. Get the coveted blue check mark
Instagram applies verified badges to the profiles of public figures, celebrities and brands to help users distinguish between the original and genuine account and accounts that are fake or fan-based. The verified badge appears as a white check mark surrounded by a blue badge next to the verified user’s username on their profile, in search and also in comment threads.
If you are a high profile person or manage an Instagram account on behalf of a public figure, celebrity, business, organization, or brand, you can request an Instagram verification. But before that, you need to make sure that you meet the eligibility requirements.
Instagram verification eligibility
According to Instagram, to be considered for receipt of a verified badge, your account must be
- Follow Instagram’s terms of service and community guidelines;
- Authentically represent a natural person, business or registered entity;
- Represent the unique presence of the individual, business or entity;
- be made public and include a full bio, profile photo and at least one post
- Represent a well-known and highly sought-after individual, company, brand or entity.
Instagram will review accounts that appear in multiple news and media sources, but paid or promotional content will not count for eligibility. Instagram also won’t review general interest accounts, such as those featuring popular books, funny memes, or cute dogs – regardless of how many followers the account has.
Even if an account meets all the eligibility requirements for Instagram verification, there is no guarantee that it will actually be approved. If you provide false or misleading information when requesting a verified badge, Instagram may reject your request, withdraw your badge if it was issued to you in error, and possibly even deactivate or delete your account entirely.
How to request a verified badge on Instagram
If you’ve determined that your Instagram account meets all the eligibility requirements for a verified badge, you can submit a request.
You must have access to the Instagram account that is requesting the verification and be able to log in through the Instagram app for iOS or Android. It is not possible to request a verified badge through Instagram.com. Instagram will never ask for payment in exchange for the verification, nor will you be contacted to confirm your identity.
- Log in to the Instagram account you want to have verified via the Instagram app for iOS or Android and navigate to the profile tab by pressing theprofile picture in the bottom menu.
- Touch the icon menu in the upper right corner of the profile tab.
- Select Settings.
- Select the account.
- Select Request verification.
- Enter your full name in the Full Name field, describe who you are in the Known as field and select a category where your account is in the Category drop-down list.
- Without closing the app, exit Instagram and use your device to take a photo of a government-issued photo ID that shows your name, date of birth, or official business documents. Appropriate forms include a driver’s license, passport, national ID card, tax statements, recent utility bill, or article of incorporation. Go back to Instagram and tap Choose a file to select your photo ID from your device.
- Press on To send to submit your request for review.
What happens after the Instagram verification request?
Unfortunately, Instagram does not specify a timeframe for hearing your request, but you can expect to receive a notification letting you know if your request is approved or denied. If your request is denied, you will be allowed to submit another one after 30 days if you wish to try again.
If your request is approved and you receive the verified badge on your account, it should appear at the end of your username on your profile, in search results, and in expanded discussion threads of comments you leave on posts.
Remember that Instagram may remove your verified badge at any time for inappropriate performance or activity. This includes advertising or attempting to sell your verified account, using your profile information to promote other services, or attempting to have your account verified by a third party.
The benefits of an Instagram verified badge
In addition to being a high status symbol on Instagram, the verified badge offers accounts a wide range of additional benefits. Among these, we can mention
- The reliability. The Users who stumble upon a verified account do not have to question the authenticity of it, even though there are hundreds of similar accounts. The blue check mark lets them know that the actual person, business or entity is behind the account.
- Better partnership possibilities. Many Instagram influencers do business with other brands, but getting verified makes it easier to get more lucrative and exclusive brand partnerships.
- First access to new features. The Verified accounts often get special treatment and can test or try out new features in the app before they’re rolled out to everyone else.
- Better ranking in search. When users search for a well-known person, company, or entity, the most suitable verified result will appear at the top of the search results. All spoofed (unverified) accounts will appear below.
- Increased number of followers and engagement. Instagram users love to follow official, authentic and exclusive accounts, which is exactly what this little blue tick represents. This means that more Followers and Engagements will discover your content on the “Explore” page as well as your account on the “Suggestions for You” page.
Tips for getting an Instagram verified badge approved
Instagram is most likely to approve verified badge requests for accounts representing people, businesses, brands, or entities that are at high risk of impersonating people. This explains why a lot of celebrities are verified, but being famous isn’t really a requirement.
Consider the following tips to increase your chances of getting your Instagram verification request approved:
- Use branded content on your profile. Include a clear and attractive profile picture, keywords in your username / full name, and short blocks of descriptive text along with optional hashtags in your bio. Embed your brand in messages, stories and instagram reels also.
- Get noticed by the media. If Instagram can’t find any content about you on the web, your chances of getting a verification approval are slim to none. Promote yourself or your business by participating in interviews, becoming a guest host on podcasts, appearing in YouTube influencer videos, posting articles about you on news platforms and much more .
- Work on your web presence as a whole. There are many Instagram accounts with hundreds of thousands of followers that are not verified because their presence is limited to Instagram only. Make an effort to expand your presence to other platforms like an official website, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and others – making sure all of them are highly optimized for search.
- Work on increasing the number of followers and engagement. The more your follower count and engagement is important to Instagram, the more your account will appear to be a prestige account that many people know and seek. Remember to do this for real, without resorting to buying followers. Discover the five best Instagram apps to boost engagement.