Want to get the latest emojis on your Android phone? Here are five things you can try to get them.
Emojis make any conversation more lively because they perfectly capture our emotions. Nothing says I’m dying to laugh than a good old Rolling on the Floor Laughing emoji.
But emojis are constantly being updated and you don’t want to be left behind. Fortunately, there are ways to add new emojis to your Android phone, create your own emojis, or even use the ones from iOS.
Here’s how to update emojis on Android devices.
SEE AS WELL: How to add emojis on Mac and Windows
1. Update to the latest version of Android
Each new version of Android brings new emojis. Android 11 introduced 117 new characters, while the 2,000+ previously available emojis also received new designs in an additional Android emoji update.
Not sure if your Android device has received this update? Here is what you can do:
- In your phone’s menu, tap settings, then navigate to About . In some devices, you must first go through Systems . Next, tap on the software version, which will tell you which Android update you are on. If you are not on Android version 11, go to the next step.
- Access settings again. Press on About phone and check if there is an update available. Then tap the update button and tap Install . Make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi or any mobile internet connection.
- To check if the update was successful, go to any email app. While typing, try to search for Android Ninja or Black emoji version; both are new emojis included with the update.
Of course, not all phones receive full Android updates, so this may not be available to you. Fortunately, there are other things you can try.
2. Use Emoji Kitchen
Google’s native keyboard application, Gboard, recently launched Emoji Kitchen. This is a feature that allows users to generate mashups of their stickers. Here’s how you can create a new emoji using this as well:
- Open your favorite messaging app, such as Facebook Messenger. Then tap on one of your contacts to start converting.
- Tap the text bar to start typing. Next, tap the emoji button (the one with the smiley face). Touch the desired emoji to activate the Kitchen Emoji feature.
- From here you can see the possible emoji combinations on the top of your keyboard. Drag the stickers and select the one you want to send.
Note that not all messaging apps may be compatible with the new Emoji Kitchen feature. Moreover, emoticons and emojis are quite different from each other.
3. Install a new keyboard
Another approach that you can use to get new emojis is to install a third-party Android emoji keyboard.
As the emoji keyboard, some of these apps even come with an icon dictionary so that you can check the meaning of the emoji. Moreover, the app also has a prediction feature and allows you to send stickers and GIFs to social media sites like Snapchat and Instagram.
Here’s how to install a third-party keyboard on your smartphone:
- In your phone’s menu, tap Google Play. In the search bar above, enter the keyboard app of your choice.
- Then press Install . If the keyboard app is not compatible with your phone, you can try other options.
- Wait for the download to complete.
Some of the best third-party keyboard apps you can choose from include:
These apps are great alternatives to the Google Gboard keyboard app, which is installed on every phone. Some device makers, including Samsung, also pre-install their own keyboard, so check that as well.
4. Create your own personalized emoji
If you want your emoji to reflect your personality and taste, you can make your own personalized emoji. The Google Play Store has dozens of emoji maker apps that you can install on your Android devices.
To install an emoji maker on your phone, follow the same steps as to download your third app keyboard. Bitmoji is one of the most popular custom emojis makers, and here’s how to use it to get more emojis.
- After downloading the app, sign up with your email. If you already have an account, sign in using your credentials. You can also register and sign in automatically using your Snapchat account.
- Next, select a gender for your Bitmoji avatar. You can also take a selfie and let the app generate an avatar that closely resembles the user or create one from scratch. You can even customize her clothes, hairstyle, skin color, etc.
- Once you’re happy with your avatar, tap Record in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Then select the keyboard in the lower right corner of the home page. After which, tap on activate settings in the next menu.
- You can also switch your phone’s keyboard to Bitmoji by tapping Settings , then selecting Managed Keyboards and choosing Bitmoji from the list that appears.
Now you can choose from several emoticons with your face on them to send them to your friends or relatives through social networks.
5. Use a font editor
Apple’s iOS arguably has better emojis than Google’s Android. If you want to use iOS emojis on your Android device, use a font editor such as z Font. You can download this app from Google Play Store.
After downloading the app, here’s how to update emojis on Android:
- You should receive a notification asking for permission to access media, photos, and other files on your device. Press on To allow .
- On the apps home screen, tap the Emoji tab. You can download emoji files used by different online platforms such as Windows, Facebook, WhatsApp or JoyPixel.
- Choose one of the latest versions of iOS, like iOS 13.3, and download it. Once the download is complete, it will show a preview of the new emojis. Press on To define .
- Then choose the manufacturer of your phone. Then select the last installation method.
- Finally, go to your phone’s settings and then tap Theme manager . After which, apply the version you just downloaded. Wait a few minutes for the changes to apply.
Note that font editors like zFont may not display some fonts correctly due to compatibility issues. Also, the app has lots of pop-up ads and you can’t merge bitmap emoji fonts.
BONUS: wait for Google to add the new emoji
Perhaps the easiest and easiest way to get new emojis is to wait for Google to add them. According to Emojipedia.org, Android will add at least 217 new emojis in 2021. Some of the more intriguing include a heart on fire, a face in the clouds, and a dizzy face.
Whichever method you choose, updating your emojis is quite easy. And installing a new keyboard has other advantages as well. Fortunately, changing the keyboard is also easy.