Well, HBO Max has finally arrived on Roku after a long wait. Now Roku users can stream their favorite original HBO shows and movies to their TVs as well. However, many Roku users have also reported that they are facing various technical errors while streaming HBO Max on Roku. Hence, here we are with some of the best methods that you can use to fix HBO Max not working on Roku. In this article, we are going to talk about How to Fix HBO Max Not Working on Roku. Let’s get started!
You downloaded HBO Max, signed up with a Roku account, then started streaming for 10-20 seconds, and without even crashing, you suddenly come back to the RokuTV homepage. Are you the one experiencing the same issues? Let us help you fix this issue on Roku while using HBO max and also a comprehensive workaround.
Update your Roku device
HBO Max app works fine on Roku 9.3, however older Roku models such as Roku 2500 will not be supported. For a smooth experience with HBO Max, Roku should be running on its latest version. To update Roku, follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, hold the Home on the remote control and go to Settings
- Now choose System and head to System update.
- Then Check for updates in Roku and install.
To note: For cases where Roku is running on a version greater than or equal to 9.4.0, however, the HBO Max channel is not functioning properly, you must contact Roku Support for assistance.
Remove and re-add the HBO Max channel.
It reports through multiple Roku users that HBO Max not working on Roku error can also be fixed using this method. The steps also involved in this method are listed below.
- You need to activate Roku and press the Home button on the remote control.
- To choose ‘Streaming channels‘then open’Chain store‘ above.
- Now you have to sfind the HBO Max channel in the list and then press the ‘Okay‘on your remote control.
- Finally, just choose the ‘Delete channel‘and confirm it to remove the HBO Max channel from your Roku. And now restart your Roku.
- When Roku is on, press the button again. Home button on the remote control.
- In the search box, just type HBO Max and search for it.
- Now add the channel and also check if it is working properly. Otherwise, go to the next method.
Use the search function
Just like that you can use the to look for characteristic to select the desired content rather than using the Homepage. You can also search for content by movie / series names, TV channels, as well as actors.
You will only be able to use four controls: forward, backward, pause, and 7-second replay. HBO Max menu and closed caption function are not actually available with this option.
Advice: Navigate the menu slowly, waiting two to three seconds between actions and responses. It will also prevent frequent crashes from occurring in the system.
Disconnect your VPN
In order to enjoy a smooth streaming experience with HBO Max. Your region of residence must also be in the United States or affiliated territories. In the case of HBO Max, you need to use your original IP address as well as visibility features. While using VPN also masks your real IP address. So, you are suggested to disconnect your VPN network and then use the HBO Max app as well. This is an instant solution suggested by several users as follows:
Simply turn off the VPN connection and check if the HBO Max not working on Roku issue repair now.
Clear cache memory
Formatting and loading issues can also be solved by clearing the cache stored in the device. You need to follow these steps in order to clear the cache present in Roku:
- You must open your Homepage.
- Now just search for the HBO Max Channel and choose it.
- Then just grab your remote and click on the asterisk * button.
- Now choose the Delete channel.
- At last, to restart the Roku.
All cache data will also be deleted and HBO Max not working on Roku issue will be fixed.
Hard reset Roku and Soft reset Roku
Many times Roku may need minor troubleshooting like restarting, factory reset as well as resetting network and remote connection to restore its lasting performance.
You can either use the Settings option for one return to factory settings or the Reset button on Roku in order to perform hard reset.
To note: After the reset, the device would also need the reinstallation of all data previously stored.
If you want to return Roku to its original state, a Roku factory reset is required. We can also use the factory reset option to delete all data associated with the device. It also makes the device functional as it is brand new. Factory reset is mainly done when machine settings need to be changed in order to improve its performance. You can use the remote control to carry out the following steps.
- Just choose Settings on the Homepage.
- You can search System > Advanced system settings.
- There you just have to choose Return to factory settings.
- Whenever you choose Factory to reset, a coded will generate on the screen to confirm your choice. To note this code and this one in the box provided for this purpose.
- Press on Okay.
Roku factory reset will now begin, and it will also take some time. Hence, you can start using it and then check whether HBO Max is not working on the Roku issue or not.
If you’ve tried a Roku soft reset and / or restarted the Roku process. But you still did not get the results you want, then you can go for a Roku hard reset.
- You have to find the RESET symbol on the device.
To note: The reset button or pinhole will depend on the model of device you have.
- You can hold this RESET symbol for at least 20 seconds.
- So rto release the button when the power light is flashing on the device.
This basically indicates that the factory reset is complete and you can now set it up just like you would a new one.
Report the issue to HBO Max.
If none of the above methods work, you might be facing a much bigger problem. In this case, we also suggest that you seek expert help and contact HBO Max.
You can visit the Help Center and contact their customer service from there. Whenever you report a problem, try to provide as much information as possible to speed up the process. This also includes your account details, the device you are using, and a screenshot of the error.
Okay, that was all folks! I hope you enjoy this article and that it is useful to you as well. Give us your opinion on it. Also, if you have other questions and issues related to this article. So let us know in the comments section below. We will get back to you shortly.
Have a nice day!