The moment you try to install a Windows update and especially when it is a cumulative update, error 0x800f0831 may occur preventing the machine (Windows 10 or Windows 11) from accessing to Microsoft Update servers.
The message that Windows writes in the log file WindowsUpdate.log when the error is triggered is: FATAL: CBS called Error with 0x800f0831. At the level of Windows Update, the system displays a message like: ” We were unable to install this update, but you can try again (0x800f0831) “.
According to the Microsoft site, and in its page dedicated to the technical documentation of its products, mentions that the problem occurs because the update in question requires the manifest of a previous update package and which is missing.
To solve the problem, Microsoft offers two solutions: either repair the component store with DISM commands that we have already used in previous articles on Tech’Croute to repair other Windows errors, either manually by downloading from Microsoft Update’s online catalog and installing the missing component.
Repair component store with DISM commands
The Windows Component Store is used to support functions needed to customize and update Windows. In this case, we will use the command DISM Restore Health via command prompt to repair the component store.
So open your command prompt but as an administrator to load all the necessary administrative privileges and then type the following commands (one after the other):
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /SCANHEALTH
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /CHECKHEALTH
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
And finally restart your computer.
Fix the error manually via downloading and installing the missing component
- To do this, you must access the Microsoft online catalog.
- Once on the Microsoft site and in the search box, directly enter the number of the KB (Cumulative Update), a keyword such as cumulative or an ID of the drivers or package in question.
- Find the update that applies to your operating system in the search results, then select the button Download.
- In the Microsoft Update Catalog window, select the file link to download the update.
- Select Close once the download is complete. You will then find a folder containing the update package in the specified location.
- Open the folder, then double-click the update package to install the update.
Don’t forget to restart your computer after the installation is complete.
Leave a Reply