Each device connected to the network is assigned an IP address. This also includes the WiFi access point which has its own assigned IP address. Sometimes you might need to find an IP address and connect to the modem to perform some tasks like changing network configuration, changing WiFi password, etc.
Unless you have saved this IP address somewhere, and it is unlikely that you will, we recommend that you use one of the following methods to find the IP address and access the modem on your computers . There are methods to find the IP address and access the modem in Windows and Mac, and you can use any of these methods to find the IP address of your PC.
If you are already connected to the network via WiFi or Ethernet, let’s see where to find the modem’s IP address in Windows.
- Right click on the network icon in the system tray and select Open network and internet settings.
- On the next screen, click on the option that says Change adapter options. You won’t change anything, however.
- The screenshot below shows all the adapters available on your computer. You want to right click on the current one and select the option that says State.
- Click on the button Details in the next screen to view more details about the network.
- You should now see multiple IP addresses on the screen. Look for the one printed next to IPv4 default gateway and what is the IP address of your wireless access point.
If you often need to find the modem IP address of various wireless access points and prefer a simpler solution, using the command prompt utility to find the modem IP address would be more convenient. for you.
There is a command you can run in the utility that will allow you to see lots of details about your network, including the WAP IP address.
- Simultaneously press the keys Windows + R, type cmd in the on-screen box and press Enter.
- When the command prompt starts, type the following command and press Sending in progress: ipconfig
- As soon as the command is executed, you will see different IP addresses on the screen. The IP address displayed next to Default Gateway is the IP address of the wireless access point.
The IP of your WiFi access point can also be found on your Mac computer. If you choose the GUI method, you just need to click on a few options and you will have access to the required IP address of your WAP. It is assumed that you are already connected to the network via WiFi.
- Click on the WiFi icon in the Mac menu bar and select the option that says Open network preferences. Open network settings.
- To select Wireless in the left sidebar, then click Advanced in the right pane.
- On the next screen, click on the tab TCP / IP up.
- The wireless access point’s IP address should be listed next to Router. You can now use it to configure your network.
View Wireless Access Point IP on Mac (CLI)
the Mac terminal has a number of commands that you can use to perform various tasks and one of them allows you to view information about the network. You can use it to find the IP address of your wireless access point. The command should also work on Linux.
- click on Launching ramp in the Dock, search Terminal and click on it to open it.
- Type the following command and press Sending in progress: netstat -nr | grep by default
- Unlike the other methods, you will only see a single IP address next to this default. This is the IP address of your wireless access point and you can write it down for future use.
Search for wireless access points when SSID broadcast is disabled
One of the features of wireless access points is that you can hide them to prevent anyone from discovering them. If someone has disabled SSID broadcasting, you will not be able to find their WAP IP address because their network will not be found in your WiFi network list.
If you need to find the IP address of your computer and the hidden home router, you will need to use a network scanning application. NetSpot (freemium) is one of the applications that allows you to search for hidden and non-hidden networks around you. It’s pretty straightforward to use as all you need to do is install and run it.
- Download, install and launch NetSpot on your computer.
- Click on Find when it starts up and wait for it to scan for networks around you.
- You will see the list of networks it can search for you.
Difference between a WAP and a modem
A wireless access point and a modem should not be confused to be the same thing. They are actually two different things and therefore work a little differently.
A modem is actually a hub that you connect your devices to and is responsible for managing your network. A WiFi hotspot, on the other hand, is a wireless point that you connect your devices to, and then connect further to the main network.
Wireless access points are typically used to extend the reach of the core network so that more people can join the network. A router can have multiple wireless access points enabled for various purposes and users can connect to them.