Whether it is to send them by email, to have them at a size contained for online forms or simply to change their size, it can be useful to know how to reduce the weight and size of an image on a Mac like on Windows PC. Here is a simple and comprehensive tutorial to help you do that.
Sometimes it can be useful to know resize or reduce weight of an image. In most cases, mailboxes do not allow mailings that are more than a certain size. For example, on Gmail, you cannot send attachments larger than 25MB in size. If you send multiple attachments, their total size cannot exceed this limit. Sometimes, the weight of the images is simply too high: for example, we think of formats that can be quite heavy, such as TIFF.
But then, how to easily and effectively reduce the weight and size of an image? We offer you some simple techniques that do not need to install or pay for software.
How to reduce the size and weight of an image on Mac and Windows?
- Open the image with Preview (double click on it)
- Click on Tools
- Click on Adjust the size …
- Select the size you want. You can click on the padlock so that the dimensions do not automatically adjust (beware of distortion), adjust according to the pixels, etc. You will see the weight of the image decrease if you decrease the size.
- Click on okay.
- The image will be downloaded to your Downloads folder.
On Windows 10 PC
- Open the image with Photos (double click on it)
- Click on the “…” located at the top right then on Resize
- You can choose a predefined format or a custom size.
- If you choose Define custom dimensions, you can choose the size of your image yourself. As on Mac, you can choose to keep the proportions or not, as well as the quality to reduce its weight.
- Click on Save resized copy
- The image will be downloaded to your Pictures folder.
Reduce the weight of an online image
If you want to reduce the weight of your online image (if you are on mobile, or on another operating system for example), follow this simple tutorial.
- Once the image has been sent, you can adjust the quality at the bottom right (1) then click on Download all to recover your image with less weight (2).
- Once done, your image will be downloaded to your dedicated downloads folder.
That’s it for this simple and effective tutorial for resizing or reducing the weight of an image. You can also use software such as Photoshop or GIMP, although this requires either having a subscription or installing software.