With Windows 11, Microsoft made Cortana less intrusive than ever. As the company detailed in its list of removed features in Windows 11, Cortana is no longer part of the first boot experience. Therefore, you will no longer get the Cortana voice announcement when you first set up a new Windows 11 PC. However, Cortana is still present in Windows 11. And to help you get rid of it, we will teach you how to disable it. Cortana on Windows 11 in this article. We have also included the steps to uninstall Cortana in order to completely remove Microsoft’s voice assistant from your Windows 11 PC.
Disable / Uninstall Cortana on Windows 11 (2021)
We have included four methods to disable Cortana on Windows 11, two of them are very simple while the others require you to edit registry and group policy. And you will have to use Windows Powershell to uninstall Cortana from your computer. Use the table below to choose the desired method
Disable Cortana from Windows 11 settings
1. Open the Settings app using the Windows 11 “Win + I” keyboard shortcut and go to the Apps section in the left sidebar. Now, click on “Applications and features” to manage the application settings.
2. In the search box of the list of applications, type Cortana. Once the Cortana apps list appears, click on the vertical three-dot menu next to it and choose “Advanced options”.
3. In the “Runs on connection” section, turn off the Cortana toggle. And you are ready. Cortana will no longer start automatically when you sign in to your Windows 11 PC.
Disable Cortana from Task Manager
1. Another way to turn off Cortana is to use the task manager. Use the “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keyboard shortcut to open Task Manager in Windows 11. When Task Manager appears, switch to the tab ” Start-up “ to control the tasks that start when you start your PC.
2. Locate Cortana in the list of startup items and click on the “Deactivate” button. Cortana will no longer take up resources when you start your Windows 11 PC.
Reactivate Cortana on Windows 11
Now, if you’ve used any of the above four methods to turn off Cortana on your Windows 11 PC, find the steps to turn Microsoft’s voice assistant back on here:
You can enable Cortana failover in Settings> Apps & Features> Cortana Advanced Options. Just enable the Cortana toggle in the “Runs on login” section.
How to uninstall Cortana from Windows 11
Now, instead of choosing to turn off Microsoft’s voice assistant, you can also completely uninstall Cortana from your Windows 11 PC. This requires a few extra steps and some knowledge of Windows Powershell. With that said, let’s take a look at the steps:
1. Open a PowerShell window as administrator. To do this, press the Windows key, type “PowerShell” in the search bar and choose the “Open as administrator” option.
2. Paste the following command into the PowerShell window and press the Enter key.
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Supprimer-AppxPackage
That is just about everything. You will no longer see the Cortana app on your Windows 11 computer. If you change your mind later, see the next section to restore Cortana to Windows 11.
How to reinstall Cortana on Windows 11
1. Open the list of Cortana apps on the Microsoft Store athelp from this link and click on the “Get” button.
2. Windows 11 will automatically redirect you to the Microsoft Store. Here, click on the “Install” button to retrieve the Cortana application on your Windows 11 PC.
In this guide, you learned how to disable or uninstall Cortana in Windows 11. If you have any questions or suggestions, let us know in the comments. In addition, also consult this guide if you want to learn how to delete temporary files in Windows 11.