If you want to delete a user account from your PlayStation 4 console, here are all the steps you need to take.
Are you going to pass your PS4 to someone else now that the PS5 has arrived? Does someone leave your PlayStation 4 and won’t play on it anymore?
Either way, it’s a good idea to remove the user account and associated information from your console. This ensures that you only have active users on your PS4 and that the user list is clean.
In this guide, you will learn how to delete PS4 user accounts on your console.
SEE AS WELL: How to update your PlayStation 5
How to delete a PS4 user account
Deleting a PS4 user account means deleting the saved data, screenshots and video clips of that user. If you’ve already backed up your game saves or don’t mind losing them, you can do the following to delete your account from your PS4.
- Open Settings from the main menu of the console.
- In Settings , scroll down and select the option that says Connection settings . This is where you can see all of your PS4 user accounts.
- Select User Management on the following screen.
- Choose Delete user because you want to remove a user from your PlayStation 4.
- Select the account you want to get rid of from the list.
- The PS4 will display a prompt stating that it will erase the user’s data. Select the button Remove to continue with the removal process.
The account you wanted to delete from your PlayStation 4 is no longer there.
How to change the primary PS4 user account
If you are deleting a user account, it is the primary account on your PS4, you may want to set another account as the primary account first.
Here’s what you need to do to change the primary account on the PlayStation 4.
Deactivate current primary PS4 account
You must first remove the primary privilege from your current primary account. Here’s how to do it:
- Open menu Settings on your PS4.
- Select the option that says Account management . You need to sign in to your PlayStation Network account to use this option.
- Select Activate as primary PS4 on the next screen.
- Choose Deactivate to make the current account a non-primary account.
Make a user account the primary account on the PS4
- Log in to the account you want to turn into the main account of your PS4.
- Open menu Settings .
- Select Account management .
- Select Activate as primary PS4 .
- Select Activate .
Your current account will now become the main account for your PlayStation 4.
How to delete the primary PS4 user account
You can delete the primary PS4 user account even if you haven’t set another account as the primary account.
You can do it as follows:
- Go to Settings> Connection settings> User management> Delete user on your console.
- Select the primary PS4 account you want to delete.
- The PS4 will ask you to launch your console. This will erase all your data and restore the console to factory settings.
- Let the reset process complete.
- You can now add a new account or log into an existing account on your PS4. This account will now act as the primary account on your console.
How to delete a PlayStation Network account
What you did above was delete a user account from the PS4. Your account continues to exist with Sony and you can sign in to it from any of the PlayStation consoles.
If you want to end your relationship with PlayStation, you can delete your PlayStation Network account for good. This differs from deleting a PS4 user account.
When you delete a PlayStation Network account:
- You cannot use your account ID to create another account on PlayStation.
- You can no longer access the content you purchased with your account.
- You cannot transfer purchased content to another account.
- You will only receive a refund if the refund complies with PlayStation Store’s cancellation policy.
- You will not be able to access any of your subscriptions.
- You will no longer have access to your PSN wallet.
- You cannot recover funds currently in your PSN wallet.
To close your PlayStation Network account, you will need the following:
- Login ID (your email address)
- Online ID
Once you have the required items, you need to contact Sony and ask them to close your account. Unlike many other platforms, you don’t have a simple button you can click to get rid of your account.
Removing unwanted PS4 user accounts
You don’t have to stick to inactive user accounts on your PS4. If anyone (including yourself) leaves the console, you can safely delete their account and organize the list of users.
The PlayStation 4 offers a number of features regarding user accounts, such as deleting user accounts and even changing the PSN name of your account.