What there is to know
- To delete a comment, drag the slider to the left and touch the icon Basket (on iPhone), touch and hold until you can touch the icon Basket (on Android), or click on the three dots and choose Deleter (on the Web).
- You can delete your own comments or comments left on your posts by someone else.
- You cannot edit comments, but you can delete a comment and replace it with a new one.
This article explains how to delete a comment on Instagram, whether you are using an iPhone, Android, or a web browser. And although you cannot edit comments on Instagram, this article explains how to do the next step.
Whether you post a comment you want to retract later or someone leaves a comment you want to remove from your own post, it’s easy to delete comments on Instagram. Just remember these rules: You can only delete your own comments or comments left on a post that belongs to you. You cannot delete other people’s comments on a post that is not yours.
- Launch Instagram on your phone and find the post with the comment you want to delete.
- Tap the comment bubble icon to see all comments associated with that post.
- You can now delete the spam comment.
- On iPhone, swipe left on the comment and tap the trash can icon.
- On Android, tap and hold the comment until the pop-up bar appears at the top of the screen, then tap the Trash icon.
If you are using a web browser instead of the Instagram mobile app, you can still delete spam comments with just a few clicks.
- Open Instagram in a web browser and find the post with the comment you want to remove.
- Click on the message to see it appear in a window with all the associated comments.
- Hover your mouse pointer over the comment you want to delete, then click the three dots to the right of the comment.
- In the pop-up window, click Remove.
If you can delete your own comments in Instagram, then of course you should be able to edit them as well, for example to correct a typo or perform a small update. Unfortunately, Instagram does not allow you to edit comments, even if they are your own.
There is a workaround, however, – you can simply replace the comment with a new one. This is not necessarily ideal, especially if your comment has already received other responses or has a lot in common. Deleting a comment removes all comments and replies associated with it.
If you’re ok with this compromise, follow the instructions given earlier in this article to find and delete the comment you want to edit. Delete it, then just add a new comment to the post with the changes you intended to make.