Looking to convert MP4 to Mp3 via Windows Media Player? If yes, read this quick guide to convert MP4 to MP3 via Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, and iTunes.
Why convert Mp4 to Mp3?
MPEG-4, commonly known as MP4, has become the standardized format for audio-video files. The reason is that it is supported by all platforms i.e. Android, iOS, and almost all media players.
However, you may need to convert MP4 to MP3 which is the audio file format because:
- You want to listen to your favorite songs and not watch the video associated with them.
- As some mobile phones only support MP3 formats for downloading and streaming.
Now let’s discuss the methods of converting MP4 to MP3 on Windows 10 laptop / desktop. We will start with VLC Media Player first, then use iTunes, Windows Media Player and online tools to convert MP4 to MP3.
Option 1: Convert MP4 to Mp3 Using VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is one of the most popular cross-platform media players due to its ability to play most media formats. This player also offers a quick way to change the file extension, as explained below:
- Start VLC Media Player and select the first tab titled Medium.
- Select option Convert / Save from the drop-down menu.
- Then go to the tab File and click on the button + Add… .
- Go to location of MP4 file, select it MP4 files and click You open.
- Do Click on optional Convert / Save after selecting the video file.
- In the new window that appears, expand the option Profile in the category Settings.
- To select Audio-MP3 from the drop-down list.
- After choosing MP3, click on Browse.
- Select the position in where you want to store the converted file. When you select the location, you will notice that the option Save as type automatically displays the format MP3.
- Now do it Click on at the top To save.
- Once you have completed the above steps, click on the button Start.
The MP4 video will be converted by the VLC player and a new MP3 file will be generated and saved to the specified location.
Option 2: Convert Mp4 to Mp3 via iTunes
To convert MP4 to MP3 on Windows PC, you can also use iTunes software. You will be able to play audio in MP3 and MP4 format. Follow the given steps to do so:
- Launch the application itunes designed for the Windows operating system on your computer.
- Switch to toolbar menu. click on Edit> Preferences.
- In the map General, select Import configurations.
- You choose MP3 like, how encoding format.
- From library, select I video / mp4 files you want to convert.
- Convert MP4 to MP3 version of said files by clicking File > Create an MP3 version.
This process will convert MP4 to Mp3 using iTunes on Windows PC.
To note: you can convert files to AAC, .AIFF, .WAV versions using the same process. Just replace MP3 with the required file format and click Create version
Option 3: Convert Mp4 to Mp3 Using Windows Media Player
On Windows PC, you can easily convert MP4 to MP3 format using Windows Media Player. Below are the detailed steps to complete this process:
To note: You need a blank CD to convert MP4 to MP3 using Windows Media Player.
- To get started, navigate to the directory on your computer for the MP4 files you want to convert.
- Right click on it and select Open with> Windows Media Player.
- The MP4 file will start playing in Windows Media Player.
- In the top menu, click To organise then select Options.
- Switch to tab Copy music. To select MP3 in the drop-down menu Format.
- When done, click File> Save with name. Click on “File name”, for example “escape.mp4”, then move the cursor over the extension and change it to .mp3 as “escape.mp3“.
- Finally, click on the Save button.
Windows Media Player will convert the MP4 file to an MP3 file. Once converted, the file will be stored in the specified location on your computer.
Option 4: Convert MP4 to MP3 Using Online Converters
If you find the above-mentioned methods difficult to understand and follow, you can use free online converters on the internet instead. Several tools are available online, such as:
How to convert PDF to PowerPoint
How to convert FLAC to MP3
How to convert EXE to APK
Program to convert Windows PC and MAC video
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. What are the advantages of using MP4 format?
Benefits of using MP4:
- Due to its video quality and streaming capabilities, MP4 is a popular video format that works with almost all video players.
- Most social networks and video sharing services accept MP4.
- Due to its better video quality compression and preservation features, MP4 is the preferred video upload / download format.
Q2. What are the advantages of the MP3 format?
Benefits of using MP3:
- One of its most notable features is the small file size. Compared to a typical digital audio CD or CDDA file recorded on a compact disc, the size is reduced by a factor of 12.
- Due to the small file size, thousands of songs can be stored in internal or external memory.
We hope you found this guide helpful and that you were able to convert MP4 to MP3 using VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player and iTunes. Let us know which method has worked best for you. If you have any questions about this article, feel free to write them in the comments section.