Xbox Series X or S controllers are compatible with Windows 10
What there is to know
- Connect the controller using a USB cable. You can start playing right away; no need to sneak around with the settings.
- To connect via Bluetooth, press the button Pairing on the controller until the Xbox button starts flashing. On your PC, click Connect.
- If it does not appear, go to Settings > Devices > Add Bluetooth or other devices > Bluetooth > Xbox Wireless Controller > Done.
This article explains how to pair an Xbox Series X or S controller with a PC running Windows 10.
How to connect an Xbox Series X or S controller to PC with USB
If you’re more comfortable with a wired connection, here’s how to use your controller with your computer via USB:
- Check if Windows is updated and install any available updates. Xbox Series X or S controller compatibility was not available when the console launched, you may need to update Windows if you are not fully up to date.
- Plug a USB cable into your Xox Series X or S controller.
- Plug the other end of the cable into your PC.
- Wait for Windows to recognize the controller.
- You are now ready to start playing.
If you prefer a wireless connection, this is also an option. You will need to make sure your computer supports Bluetooth, and add a Bluetooth card or dongle if it doesn’t.
If your computer supports Bluetooth, here’s how to connect your Xbox Series X or S wireless:
- Check if Windows is updated and install any available updates.
- Press on the Xbox button on your controller to turn it on.
- Press on the Pairing button on your controller until the Xbox button starts flashing.
Look for this button right next to the USB-C port on your controller. It’s small and round.
- If you are prompted by a pop-up message on your computer, select Connect. If not, go to the next step.
- Right click on the start menuand select Settings.
- Select Devices.
- Check bluetooth is in progress, and select Add bluetooth or other devices.
- Click on bluetooth.
- Wait for Windows to find your controller. Click on the controller without Xbox wire when it appears in the list.
- Wait for the pairing process, and click on Done.
- Your controller is now ready for use.
Using an Xbox Series X or S Controller on PC
Like the Xbox One controller before it, the Xbox Series X or S controller is fully compatible with Windows. This means that you can plug your Xbox Series X or S controller into your Windows 10 PC with a USB-C cable or pair it with Bluetooth and start playing right away. The process is no more difficult than connecting a controller to your Xbox Series X or S, and the controller works natively without the need to download additional software.
The Xbox Series X or S controller supports two connection formats: USB-C and Bluetooth. Unlike the Xbox One controller it looks like, it doesn’t work with or require a special USB dongle. If your computer has a USB port or supports Bluetooth, you can connect your controller.
Here are the pros and cons of each connection method:
- Usb-c: This method requires a physical USB-C cable. One end should be USB-C, and the other end may have a USB-A or USB-C connector depending on what type of port is available on your PC. You get a solid connection and your controller doesn’t need batteries, but you have to deal with a physical cable all the time.
- Bluetooth: This method requires your PC to support Bluetooth. If not, you can add a Bluetooth dongle and connect that way. Bluetooth is convenient because it is wireless, but the connection can drop if there is a lot of interference. You also need to put batteries in your controller.