You’re not limited to a single screen with Chromebook
What there is to know:
- The easiest method is to use an HDMI cable or a USB-C cable with an adapter.
- The only good wireless option is Chromecast, but Chrome Remote Desktop works that way.
- Set aside 5-10 minutes to connect and configure the external monitor.
This article will cover several options for connecting a Chromebook to an external monitor. There aren’t as many options as with a Windows PC or Mac, but you can enjoy an additional monitor without a lot of extra effort.
Connect chromebook to external monitor with HDMI
If you want to connect an external monitor to your Chromebook as quickly and easily as possible, and don’t mind a wired solution, an HDMI cable is the way to go.
- If your Chromebook has an HDMI port (most do), then you can use an HDMI cable to make this connection. The HDMI port is usually next to the USB ports on the side of the Chromebook. It is a 6-sided port with slanted corners on the bottom side.
- Insert one end of your HDMI cable into this port, and the other end into any HDMI port on the back of the external monitor.
- Often, the Chromebook will automatically detect the connected monitor and immediately display it. If not, select the lower right corner of the Chromebook taskbar and select the Settings icon. From the Settings menu, select Device from from the left menu, scroll down to the section Peripheral, and select Views. On the Monitors screen, you should see all connected displays, including the connected external display. Adjust the settings like resolution and whether you want it to be an extended screen or your primary screen.
- If you don’t see the external display on this screen, or adjusting the settings doesn’t work, you might need to troubleshoot the HDMI connection.
Remember to use your display’s menu settings to select the correct HDMI port on the back of the display to which you have connected your Chromebook.
Connect chromebook to external monitor with USB-C
Another wired solution you have available for connecting a Chromebook to a monitor is through the USB-C port that most Chromebooks have available.
- The USB-C port is a very small, partially rectangular and oval port, typically on the side of the Chromebook towards the back. You can use this port to connect to an external monitor, but you will need:
- USB-C cable
- USB-C to HDMI Adapter
- HDMI cable
- Connect the USB-C port to the adapter. Then connect the HDMI cable from the adapter to the monitor. Follow the same procedure in the section above to configure the display after you connect it.
Connect an external monitor via Chromecast
If you want a wireless solution, you can connect a Chromecast device to your external monitor and then launch it with your Chromebook.
- Make sure your Chromecast device is connected to your monitor and powered on. On your Chromebook, select the lower right corner of the Chromebook taskbar and select the Settings icon. Select icon Cast to see all the devices on the network that you can cast your Chromebook screen on.
- Select the Chromecast device from this list which is connected to the external monitor.
- Once you select it, you will see your Chromecast desktop displayed on the external monitor. Now you can use the external monitor larger than your screen.
This wireless option allows you to connect your Chromecast to an external monitor, but it only allows for a duplicate display, not an extended screen. And since it works over the WiFi network, there may be a little lag between your mouse movement and the mouse pointer display on the screen.
Connect an external monitor with Chrome Remote Desktop
Another wireless solution for using an external monitor with your Chromebook is by using the browser-based Chrome Remote Desktop app.
You can sign in to Chrome Remote Desktop with a laptop connected to one or more monitors. Once signed in, you can request a code and then use that code on your Chromebook to sign in to the laptop and use those external monitors.
This solution allows you to use an external monitor, but it actually uses a secondary laptop connected to the monitor. You control the laptop in addition to your Chromebook. It’s a good last resort if you can’t connect with HDMI or USB-C and don’t have a Chromecast device.