Use your favorite headphones with the latest console
What there is to know
- The PS5 does not support bluetooth headphones like airPods out of the box. You can add support with a Bluetooth adapter.
- Depending on how you connect AirPods, you may not hear audio, not chat with other players.
- Bluetooth headphones have a latency which reduces their performance and may not be acceptable for the most demanding gamers.
This article explains how to connect your AirPods to the PS5, including what you need to be and how to make the connection after you are all set up.
What you need to connect AirPods to PS5
It might seem hard to believe since the PS5 is the latest and greatest video game console, but it doesn’t support bluetooth audio when you first buy it. This means that you cannot use any type of Bluetooth headset, including AirPods, with the PlayStation 5 without purchasing an accessory.
The PS5 supports some Bluetooth accessories, so the console can detect your AirPods or other headphones, but the pairing process crashes at the final stage. Epic failure!
You can resolve this limitation with an adapter that supports Bluetooth audio that plugs into the console. Fortunately, there are a lot of these Bluetooth adapters out there and they’re all pretty inexpensive (think $ 50 or less). Some adapters plug into the USB ports on the PS5, into the USB ports on your TV, or into the headphone jack on the PS5 controller. They all work essentially the same, so get whatever accessory looks right for you.
While this article specifically covers connecting AirPods to PS5, these instructions work for any type of Bluetooth headset (or any other Bluetooth device).
To connect AirPods to ps5, follow these steps:
- Make sure your AirPods are charged. If your Bluetooth adapter plugs into the PS5 controller and therefore uses a battery, make sure it’s charged, too. Adapters that plug into the PS5 or TV get their power from these devices and don’t need to be charged.
- Connect the Bluetooth adapter to your PS5, TV or controller.
- Put the Bluetooth adapter into pairing mode. Different devices enter pairing mode in slightly different ways, so check the instructions. Usually a flashing light indicates that it is in pairing mode.
- Make sure the AirPods are in their charging case, then open the case. Press and hold the button on the housing.
- Hold the button on the AirPods case until the light on the Bluetooth adapter is solid. This indicates that the AirPods are paired with the adapter.
- Put your AirPods in your ears. Try playing a game or doing something on the PS5 that plays audio. You should hear the audio from the PS5 in your AirPods.
What to do if you cannot hear audio
If you’ve followed the steps above and still can’t hear anything from your AirPods, you need to check to make sure they’ve paired to your PS5 correctly.
- From screen home, select Settings.
- Select His.
- Choose audio output.
- Select Output device.
- On the next screen, select your Bluetooth device.
You can also find useful settings under the section Accessories of the Settings.
Can you chat with other players on PS5 using AirPods?
There are two important limitations when using AirPods and other Bluetooth headphones with the PS5.
First off, Bluetooth headphones typically have some latency – also known as a delay – between onscreen action and what you hear. This is due to the way Bluetooth sends audio to the headphones. If you demand very high performance from your game, audio latency with AirPods may be unacceptable.
Second, even though AirPods have a mic (you can use them for phone calls, after all), you can’t use them to chat with other players. For this, you will need either headsets made for the PS5 or a Bluetooth adapter that also includes a microphone to plug into the PlayStation controller.
If you really want to go spring for a luxury outfit, you can also try high-end Apple AirPods Max headphones. They have a headphone cable which can connect the AirPods Max to the PS5 controller. Make sure you change the correct settings for audio output and microphone input.