Use your favorite headphones with your favorite gaming system
What there is to know
- The PS4 does not support bluetooth audio or headset by default, so you cannot connect airPods (or other bluetooth headphones) without accessories.
- If you connect a third-party Bluetooth adapter to your PS4, you can use AirPods.
- Even once you use AirPods with PS4, you can’t do things like chat with other players.
This article explains how to connect any model of AirPods to the PS4, including what accessories you will need to purchase and what features are not supported.
What you need to connect AirPods to PS4
Believe it or not, but the PS4 does not support bluetooth audio out of the box. This means you can’t connect AirPods – or any other type of Bluetooth headset – to it without purchasing accessories. If you try to connect AirPods to PS4 without an adapter, the PS4 will be able to detect them and you will go through all the pairing steps only to see the process fail at the very last step. Boring!
To get around this, you need to get a PS4 bluetooth adapter that supports bluetooth audio which you can plug into the console.
For this article we used the Twelve South AirFly Duo, but any bluetooth adapter that supports audio and can be plugged into a PS4 (via USB or the headphone jack, for example) can work.
The instructions in this article apply to all AirPods models: First Generation AirPods, AirPods with Wireless Charging Case, and AirPods Pro.
Follow these steps to use a Bluetooth adapter to connect AirPods to PS4:
- Make sure your AirPods are charged. If your Bluetooth adapter uses a battery, make sure it is charged as well. (The AirFly Duo, for example, plugs into the headphone jack on the PS4 controller, so it needs battery power. Other Bluetooth adapters plug into the USB ports on the PS4 itself and so don’t need battery power.)
- Connect the Bluetooth adapter to your PS4.
- Put the Bluetooth adapter into pairing mode. The exact way you do this depends on your device, so check the instructions that came with it.
- With your AirPods in their charging case, open the case and press and hold the sync button.
- Hold the button until the lights on the Bluetooth adapter stop flashing. This means the AirPods are paired with the adapter.
- Confirm your PS4 is sent to your AirPods by checking the PS4 settings. Go to Settings > Devices > Devices audio.
- There are two important settings to change on the device screens audio:
- Exit device : Adjust a headset connected to the controller (or the correct menu for your Bluetooth adapter).
- Headphone output: Set to all the audios. You can also control the volume of audio sent from the PS4 to your AirPods in the menu Volume control (Headphones).
- With that done, all of the audio from the PS4 is coming to your AirPods and you are ready to play!
While this article is specifically about connecting AirPods to PS4, once you have a Bluetooth adapter you can connect any other type of Bluetooth device to PS4, too, not just AirPods.
Can you use airPods to chat with other players on PS4?
While this article explains how to connect airPods to PS4, there is one limitation of this approach: You cannot chat with other players that you play with, even if AirPods have a microphone (like anyone who has used them to). phone calls knows). This is because most Bluetooth adapters don’t send audio from the PS4 to your headphones, but not the other way around. For this, you will need headphones specially designed for the PS4 (or other game consoles).
Still, if all you want to do is hear the audio without disturbing anyone else, a Bluetooth adapter is a great option.