How to clean Fitbit bands
Cleaning instructions for your activity tracker strip
Is your Fitbit band stained, dirty, or does it have an “off” odor? If so, it probably needs a good cleaning. Here’s how to keep your Fitbit band clean and hygienic, including instructions on how to clean elastomer, leather, metal, and nylon bands (and why you should do it on a regular basis).
Why you should clean your Fitbit band regularly
Fitbits pick up sweat dirt with daily use, not to mention bacteria that can produce unpleasant odors and irritation. A Tic Watches study showed that some Fitbit bands had 8.3 times more bacteria than what a toilet seat found. Plastic and leather bracelets were the worst offenders, with higher bacteria levels than other materials.
One in four people admit never having cleaned their watches, and one in five people clean their watches less than every six months.
Because Fitbits pick up more gunk than other types of watches, it’s important to keep them clean. Wipe them dry after the operation, and give them a deeper cleanse at least once or twice a month. Not only will they look better, they will stay in better shape so that you can enjoy wearing them for as long as possible.
You can remove your Fitbit band while performing a deep clean.
How to clean silicone and elastomer fitbit bands
Elastomer and silicone are durable, latex-free materials suitable for everyday wear as well as high intensity workouts. Because they are prone to collect sweat and bacteria that can cause odors and irritation, it’s a good idea to clean them after every workout.
All Fitbit trackers are water resistant, but not waterproof. Unless your model is fully waterproof, try not to expose the watch face to running water. If it comes in contact with water, dry it immediately.
- To clean an elastomer or silicone band after wearing, rinse the band under running water or wipe it off with a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- To remove stains and oil buildup or for a deeper clean, scrub the strip with a soft toothbrush dipped in water. You can add a mild, soap-free product to clean your tape. Do not use hand soap, body wash, dish soap, hand wipes, laundry detergent, or any other type of household cleaner on your Fitbit elastomers. These products can get trapped in the tape and cause irritation to your skin.
- Dry the band with a clean cloth before wearing it again.
How to clean fitbit leather bands
Leather bands are a naturally porous material subject to fading. To avoid stains, don’t wear them during high-intensity workouts and don’t let your leather band come in contact with excess water, skin cream, insect repellant, or perfume.
- To clean a leather band, wipe it with a soft, dry cloth after wearing. If necessary, you can add a little water to cushion the fabric. Do not soak a strip of leather in water. It can cause stains and discolorations.
- For a deeper cleaning, dampen a soft cloth and add a small amount of mild soap. The fabric should be damp, but not damp. Gently rub the strip with the fabric using a circular motion. Do not use hand soap, body wash, dish soap, hand wipes, laundry detergent, or any other type of household cleaner on your Fitbit leather band. These products can cause leather discoloration as well as skin irritation.
- To remove any soap residue, rinse the fabric thoroughly in water, squeeze any excess water from the fabric, and wipe the strip with the damp cloth.
- Let the band dry before wearing it again. Do not place the tape in direct sunlight when drying. Using a hair dryer on a low setting is okay.
- If you want, you can apply a leather conditioner to the strip. Make sure the product is designed to be skin-safe, and test the product on a hidden area of the strip to make sure it won’t cause discoloration.
Never use leather conditioner intended for furniture or shoes in your gang, as these products can cause skin irritation.
How to clean Fitbit metal bands
Metal bands are suitable for everyday wear, but they are not waterproof or sweat resistant. This means they should not be worn during high intensity workouts, and should not come in contact with oil, skin cream, bug spray, or perfume to avoid tarnishing.
To clean a metal band, wipe it with a soft, dry cloth after wearing. If necessary, you can add a little water to cushion the fabric. Then let the band air dry before wearing it again, but do not place it in direct sunlight or use a hair dryer as excess heat can cause damage.
Never soak or soak a metal strip in water. It can cause tarnishing and damage.
How to clean Fitbit nylon bands
Nylon bands are great for everyday wear, but they shouldn’t be worn for high intensity workouts to avoid oil buildup and stain. To avoid fading, do not allow your strip to come in contact with oil, skin cream, insect repellant, or perfume.
To clean a nylon band, wipe it with a soft, dry cloth after wearing. If necessary, you can rinse the strip with cold water and use a mild soap.
After cleaning is complete, allow the band to air dry before wearing it again. Do not place the tape in direct sunlight when drying.
Do not use hand soap, body wash, dish soap, hand wipes, laundry detergent, or any other type of household cleaner on your Fitbit nylon band. These products can get trapped in the tape and cause irritation to your skin.