Check messages from your phone, tablet or possibly your computer
If you want to message someone on Instagram, you don’t have to comment on any of their posts. It is easy to send and receive private and direct messages to one or more people. If you’re wondering how to get to Instagram Direct, where your messages reside, here’s how to get to your inbox, read, and reply to DMs.
Facebook is in the process of merging messaging between Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp. This article takes a look at how to read traditional direct messages on Instagram, as well as what to expect when the rollout of the new messaging system is complete.
Traditional method to check messages on Instagram app
Access your direct message inbox from the main Instagram screen, where you see your current feed with messages from the people and businesses you follow.
If Facebook hasn’t rolled out its new messaging app in your area yet, here’s how to find and read your messages.
- Open the Instagram app on your iOS or Android device and sign in to your account or switch to the appropriate account, if needed.
- Touch the icon mail in the upper right corner of the screen to access your Instagram Direct inbox.
A number appears on the mail icon in the upper right corner when you open the app. The number represents the number of unread messages you have.
- Your messages in the inbox are listed from most recent to oldest. Unread messages have a blue dot.
Use the search box at the top to search for a post from a certain user or to search for a keyword or phrase.
- Tap any message to open the conversation thread, then use the text field and media buttons at the bottom to send a reply.
To send a quick reply as a photo or video without opening the conversation, tap thecamera to the right of each message in your inbox.
- Touch the icon arrow in the upper left corner to exit the inbox and return to your feed.
If you receive an Instagram message from someone you don’t follow, it shows up as a request in your inbox rather than a conversation. If you accept the request, you can respond without following the other user. If you decline the request, the other user cannot contact you again if you do not follow them.
You can also check your direct messages using Instagram on a web browser.
- Go to the Instagram official website and log in.
- Select the icon messages, which looks like a paper airplane.
- Your current conversations appear in the left pane. Click on a conversation to open it.
- The message opens in the right pane. Enter your message in the text box to reply to it.
In addition to text, you can include emojis by clicking on the icon of the smiley. Include photos from your computer by clicking the icon on the Photo to the right of the text box. Click on the heart to send a heart-shaped emoji instantly.
If you have a Windows PC, download the official Instagram app for Windows and send and receive direct messages through it, including photos, videos, and messages from your feed.
What you need to know about integrating new messages
According to a report published in TheVerge, in August 2020, Facebook began rolling out a new messaging system, merging the messaging features of Instagram and Facebook, both of which are owned by Facebook.
While Facebook is testing this feature, your Instagram homepage may greet you with a screen that says, “There’s a new way to communicate on Instagram,” as well as a button to. update. When you perform an update, the icon Direct Messages paper-aircraft type transforms into a Facebook Messenger logo. In theory, you can send messages to your Facebook friends who are not on Instagram.
News of this type of messaging merger was first reported in 2019, sources like Mobile Monkey signaling that messaging will be merged between Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp. There is speculation that Facebook is making this cross-communication movement for the convenience of users and businesses.
Stay tuned for the emergence of these cross-messaging features in your region.