Solutions to change Snapchat usernames
If you’ve tried changing your Snapchat username, you’ve probably discovered that Snapchat doesn’t allow users to do so. For safety reasons. Also, you cannot transfer your account data between usernames. However, there are workarounds you can use to change the name you are using on Snapchat.
Change your Snapchat display name
First off, there is a nifty way to change your username to a custom display name. Your username remains the same, but it’s barely visible to your friends.
Here is how to do it.
- Open Snapchat and select your profile / icon Bitmoji in the upper left corner of the screen to access your profile.
- Select the icon of thegear in the upper right corner to access your settings.
- The first two account settings you see are Last name followed by Nameuser. Select Last name.
If you tap on your username, you can’t do anything with it except share it through another app.
- Go to the text box Last name, delete your current display name, and enter a new name.
- Select the button Record that appears after you make your changes.
As long as you’ve saved something in the Name field, it will appear in your friends’ chats and stories instead of your username.
The only time a friend can see your username is when they view your profile during a chat (which displays your passcode, name, username, instant score, and chat emotions) or if it selects your display name when searching for friends.
Create a new Snapchat account and username
Another way to change your Snapchat username is to create an entirely new account. If you choose this option, you can manually add your friends to your new account.
If you create a new Snapchat account, you lose your old account data, including your current snapcode, instant score, snap streaks, best friends, chats, and any trophies you’ve earned.
- Select Cat and choose New Chat in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down to the section All to see your friends in alphabetical order.
- Write down each name or take a screenshot of the list. Select the X in the upper right corner to cancel New Chat.
- Find your first friend on your list.
- Note the username that appears below their display name. Repeat this process to find the username of all your friends.
- Select the X in the upper right corner to exit the search. Select your Bitmoji profile / icon, then choose the wheel icon toothed in the upper right corner to access the settings.
- Select Logout at the bottom of the settings list and confirm that you want to sign out of your account.
- Select the blue button Registration to create a new account with your new username.
- Once you have completed the process of creating your new account, select the icon for the magnifying glass to find your friends’ usernames. Select Add to add them.
Also, if your friends are in your device’s contact list, sync your contacts with your account to add them in bulk and speed up the process.