Since Zoom is primarily a corporate conferencing app, users typically use their name as it is. But the name information can sometimes not be accurate, and participants are free to make changes. With more and more students logging in to use video conferencing features, keeping this information up to date can be critical to success or attendance.
To do this, you can change your profile display name before entering a meeting. There is also an option to do this post factum – while you are in a specific zoom room. The important thing is that any meeting participant can change the name without host privileges.
Changing the Profile Name Before a Meeting
You can change the display name through the Zoom web portal, the desktop app, and the mobile app. But there is one special thing.
to The action to update the name settings in the desktop application takes you to the web portal. This is why the article merges the two methods together and why there is a separate guide for the mobile application.
If you’re using a web browser and going directly to Zoom, follow these instructions to change your name:
- Step 1. Go to zoom.us and login to your account, then click on ‘Profile’ in the left side menu.
- Step 2. Click on the blue ‘Edit’ option to the right of your current display name.
- Step 3. To change the name, select the corresponding box and type the desired name.
It is also the place to define your phone number, update the job title, company, as well as the department. You can also include the current location.
The interesting thing is that Zoom doesn’t seem to use just any geotagging algorithm. But this is no surprise given the nature and scope of the application.
If you’re using the desktop client, you’ll need to follow these instructions to update your name:
- Step 1. Click on the gear icon under your profile picture to access the settings menu.
- Step 2. Click on ‘Profile’
- Step 3. Click on ‘Edit my profile’
Zoom will redirect you to the website where you can click on ‘Edit’ and update your name as we did in the instructions above. we
While Zoom’s mobile app has some limitations, you can at least update your name and personal information.
- Step 1. Tap the Zoom icon on your smartphone to launch the app and select Settings at the bottom right of the screen. Tap your current name to open the edit menu, then choose Display Name in the next window.
- Step 2. Now just tap on the first and last name and change it to what you prefer. There is also an x icon next to the first and last name to quickly remove the settings. It’s a small thing, but it really helps avoid the endless flashbacks or trying to select full text on a small screen.
When done, tap Save in the top right corner of the screen and your name will be updated. The action syncs across all your devices that have Zoom with the same account.
Changing the name inside a zoom room
When you are in a particular room, you or any other participant can change the display name. As stated, you don’t need administrative or host privileges to do this. Here’s how to do it:
- Step 1 Click the Room the Participants icon at the bottom of the Zoom Room window. This will take you to a meeting menu with the subject, host, invitation, and participant information. There are also clickable thumbnails to share Screen, join audio, or invite other people. The “Participants” pop-up automatically appears allowing more actions.
- Step 2. Hover over your name in the ‘Participants’ pane (a pop-out on the right of the Zoom interface) and click ‘More.’
- Step 3. Click Rename to update your room display name.
- Step 4. There is another pop-up window and you need to type your preferred name in the “Enter a new name” box. Once you’re done, click OK and your new name should appear in the app.
The same pop-up window has the option “Remember my name for future meetings”. option. front Do not hesitate to check the box in front of it to save the settings.
Other zoom customizations
After changing your name, you can update your profile picture. It’s one of the easiest things to do and it’s the same no matter how you access Zoom.
Go to Settings from your profile page, select the image and press “Edit” or “Edit Image” under the current avatar. Then Zoom will allow you to access your local drive in a pop-up window to choose the profile picture you prefer.
On a side note, there are no rules for Zoom profile photos. there But it would be better to use a professional-looking photo, similar to the one you use on LinkedIn, for example.
There are also options to change the Personal Meeting ID and Personal Link. To edit the first one, select “Edit” and type in the ID you want to use. For Personal Link Link, you click Customize to make changes, and this option is available on Education and Business accounts.
You can also change the date and time to reflect your current location. And the “Calendar and Contact Integration” option lets you connect more than a few productivity apps to your Zoom account.
Hello my Name Is…
If you use Zoom for personal communication, creative feel free to be creative with your name. But for business reasons, it is best to stick to your first name. That is unless you are a marketing guru with a super catchy alias everyone knows ..
Have you ever considered using a name other than your own on Zoom? What type of profile photo did you upload, if any? Please feel free to drop us a comment below and share your experiences.