Customize your app icons to reflect your personal style
What there is to know
- In iOS 14, you can change the color of your app icons without having to install themes or other third-party apps.
- You will need to use the Shortcuts app to create an app shortcut and then customize the icon color to suit your theme.
- You are limited to a certain set of colors that you can use, but you can also choose a glyph to change things up a bit.
This article covers how to change the color of your app icons using the Shortcuts app on iPhones running iOS 14.
If you want to personalize your iPhone home screen, you can do more than just set a favorite image as your background image. You can also create custom colorful app icons that really show off your style. If you are more of the minimalist type, then recoloring your app icons to match them to your homescreen will feel like Zen. It is easy to do using the Shortcuts app.
Before you begin the process of customizing your app icons, make sure your iPhone is updated to the most recent version of iOS 14 available.
- Open the Shortcut app. On newer versions of the iPhone, this app is probably already installed. On older iPhones, you may need to download it from the Apple App Store.
- In the top right corner of the app, click the + (more).
- On the new shortened screen, press Add from the action.
- Search the Open application and type it in the search results.
- On the new page Shortcut, Press on To choose.
- On the page To choose the app, scroll down and find the app you want to change the icon for. In this example, the app is Photos. You can also type the name of the application in the bar Search Apps at the top of the page, then choose the application from the list of results.
- You have returned to the page New Shortcut and the app name will appear instead of where you typed Choose before. Tap the three-dot menu at the top of the page.
- On the details page, change the name of the application. Just type in the Short Name field and type something new. Make the new name something you recognize as associated with the app when you select it.
- Then tap the icon next to the app name on screen Details.
- This opens a selection page where you can choose the icon you want to use for the app and the color you want to display. First of all, press click Color, and then select the color you want the icon to be.
- Press then on Glyph and choose the symbol you want to display on your app icon. There is no option to have no glyph displayed so choose the closest match you can find.
- When you have made these selections, press Made.
- You have returned to the Details page. Press on Add to home screen.
- You will be taken to a preview page where you can see what your app icon will look like. Press on Add.
- Then you returned to the page Details and a brief confirmation will appear on the page. You can exit the Shortcuts app now and find your new app icon on your home screen.
Now you can repeat this process for all the icons that you want to create custom colors for. Unfortunately, however, you are limited to the only colors that are displayed in the menu. You cannot create custom colors for icons.